Forum Home» Campaigns Corner

Bonus for Supermarket/Essential Shop Workers

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Bonus for Supermarket/Essential Shop Workers

7 replies 363 views
cattiecattie Forumite
8.3K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
Both Marks & Spencer & Aldi have agreed to give a bonus to staff manning shops to enable us the ability to continue to buy food once the lockdown is over.
I've contacted Lidl & received the standard reply of comments being passed on etc, but no promise of yet.  What I think would be nice is if more people were to contact the supermarkets they use the most urging them to give the hard working staff who put themselves at risk everyday in an effort to keep their stores stocked & open for the rest of us in lockdown. Email addresses of head offices can easily be found via Google.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.

Replies

• deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about the lorry drivers that take the goods to the shops . the people who work in the food factories, the people on the land, utility workers who keep gas water and electricity flowing i think all keyworkers deserve a bonus, will it happen probably not 
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think all the major supermarkets have already offered some sort of bonus to their staff - but it can;t do any harm to express your thanks via the head office

• pennyforthempennyforthem Forumite
    140 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Tesco and Asda staff are doing nicely
  • FonqueFonque Forumite
    48 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    I was speaking to a friend who works in food/retail and the whilst it is great that (traditionally low paid) workers in Key roles are being paid a bonus for thier efforts, it is still taxable. It must be pretty galling for someone who volunteered to continue working during Covid to wave goodbye to most of the the bonus. Makes it seem that the government isn't grateful for thier efforts after all.    
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • Boa21Boa21 Forumite
    191 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Tesco and Asda staff are doing nicely
    I am sure that is a relative position - not sure I would say any shop floor staff are doing 'nicely'. I speak as a comfortably off person
    The force is strong in this one!
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fonque said:
    . It must be pretty galling for someone who volunteered to continue working during Covid to wave goodbye to most of the the bonus. Makes it seem that the government isn't grateful for thier efforts after all.    
    Why would they say goodbye to "most" of their bonus? Have you heard something about an increase in tax rates?
  • EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    146 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    She'll get a bonus though - the tax rate isn't 100% thereby wiping out the whole thing.