PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Turkey

Options
My dad wants to know if I want a free turkey. We don't really eat turkey, even at Xmas, my mum cooks lamb or something cos noone really likes it, but...

Can I trick bf into thinking it's chicken? Not going to cook it for Xmas as we are having steak, but just wondered if there were any recipes where I could cook the turkey, take it to pieces and make some lovely meals out of shredded turkey.

I make a shredded chicken, rice, peas concoction, just wondered if it would work with the turkey and if I could freeze it once made? I basically put onion in a pot, add chicken, add rice peas and cook it as normal (but use stock instead of plain water).

Would he be able to tell it's turkey?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do turkey curry using chopped turkey breasts and OH never works out if it's chicken, pork or turkey ;)

I think the darker meat tastes quite strong in comparison to chicken so would need stronger flavours to disguise it :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers for that. Might give that go. I don't think I'll be able to just disentangle the breasts from the turkey though:o

Whenever I do the chicken thing, it really is a case of just pulling it all apart, not jointing it or anything :rotfl:
  • newlywed
    Options
    I sometimes roast a whole chicken, strip all the meat off and freeze it in "portions". You can then freeze that to use in recipes later. Have yet to try that with turkey though ;)
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea. I'm a pro at that. I used to slow cook a chicken, pull it apart and freeze it in tiny pots for my cats to have for her dinner (spoilt? yeah, probably:rotfl: )
  • razra
    razra Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    we have a boxing day tradition of turkey pie :)

using leftover roasted turkey, shred it into chunks (about bite size or slightly bigger) gammon steaks ( the value ones that are round flat shaped are perfect) diced, and finally chopped leeks. Put it all in a deep pie dish( I use a large pyrex bowl) cover with a cheese sauce then top the lot with pastry. Cook until pastry golden and liquid/meat bubbling hot I think I do it for about 30-40 mins at 180C ( I just tend to cook it till it looks ready LOL)

Forgot to say brush the pastry with a beaten egg before cooking it
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
  • newlywed
    Options
    Failing that, if you still have cats, they won't care if it's chicken or turkey :D
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    Teehee, yeah I still have the cat, but we took her to the vet cos we though we had something wrong with her belly. The vet turned round and said, "Well, what are you feeding her? She's overweight, that's all!" We felt like right numpties :rotfl: So that's why she don't get chicken anymore.

That pie sounds absolutely scrumptious. Never made pies before, pastry scares me. If my dad gives me the turkey though, I will definitely cook it and decide what to do with it after.

Once I freeze the chopped up cook turkey (cos that's my plan), do I just defrost it and then use in pies as said above?
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you could use the ready made pastry as a first attempt at a pie maybe? I havent made pastry for ages so I cheated and used the ready made stuff the other day to make a meat pie with left over casserole and it turned out great.

I wasnt completely lazy though - I rolled the pastry myself ;) (I didnt know you could buy it ready rolled too!)

Next week I am making my own pastry though! Lots of recipes on here!
    Blah
  • newlywed
    Options
    Yeah just defrost the cooked turkey bits and then use in the pie.

I do this alot with roast chicken leftovers - make into chicken a leek pie - and I cheat and use ready rolled frozen puff pastry as the top!!! It's yum :D
  • newlywed
    Options
    Oh but if you're using cooked, frozen meat in your pie, you can't then freeze the pie again ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure