University

Options

Hi Good Morning,
Could you please ask Martin Lewis a question?
My son has been back at home from university for 6 weeks now. He emptied his room and handed his keys in as he is moving to new dwelling in September.
The University are still asking for the next 3 months tuition fees and also the halls  are asking for rent. The University has closed until at least September. Do we still need to pay these fees.
Kind regards Julie

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes , If you are contracted to 

It will be in the term and condition you or he agreed to
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Woodbine
    Woodbine Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Uni's are still presenting the usual 2 lectures a month online for most courses. Your son should be joining them. 
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My son is at Sheffield uni. They are providing online tuition so will be collecting the final tuition fee payment. However, they will not be collecting the final payment for accommodation.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    Options
    jwhittam said:

Hi Good Morning,
    My son has been back at home from university for 6 weeks now. He emptied his room and handed his keys in as he is moving to new dwelling in September.
    The University are still asking for the next 3 months tuition fees and also the halls  are asking for rent. The University has closed until at least September. Do we still need to pay these fees.
    Kind regards Julie
    Martin Lewis's fizog might still be on the forum but he sold it years ago. 

I understand that (most) universities are offering online learning instead of physical lectures and tutorials and so fees are still due.  As for the accommodation, is it university accommodation or is he renting from a private landlord?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 April 2020 at 8:16AM
    Options
    jwhittam said:

Hi Good Morning,
    Kind regards Julie
    The forums dont work like that.
    If you were Martin to respond to you then you either ask on twitter or you get on his tv show, Im sure your son can do either, the tv show might be a best shot, he may have covered students on his tv shows, have a look on catchup.
    I dont see the answer from Martin being different, if the uni are doing online lectures then yes that payment still needs making, the accomodation is a little different.
  • Dr_Crypto
    Dr_Crypto Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The tutition fees are still due as the teaching has continued online. Some Student Unions have asked for reductions but I’ve not seen any so far. 
    Accommodation? It depends on the lease. Some university and private halls have agreed not to charge, some are still charging. Most private landlords in shared houses are still charging. He still has his loan so no reason not to pay - in facts he’s probably better off as he’s living at home and no nights out! 
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    Dr_Crypto said:
    The tutition fees are still due as the teaching has continued online. Some Student Unions have asked for reductions but I’ve not seen any so far. 
    Accommodation? It depends on the lease. Some university and private halls have agreed not to charge, some are still charging. Most private landlords in shared houses are still charging. He still has his loan so no reason not to pay - in facts he’s probably better off as he’s living at home and no nights out! 
     My son is at home so would rather have the final maintenance loan of £1450 in his bank account rather than in the coffers of the uni, especially for accommodation he's not going to use.
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dr_Crypto said:
     My son is at home so would rather have the final maintenance loan of £1450 in his bank account rather than in the coffers of the uni, especially for accommodation he's not going to use.
    What he would like doesn’t really have a bearing on what the agreement says though.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    John_ said:
    Dr_Crypto said:
    What he would like doesn’t really have a bearing on what the agreement says though.
    John_ said:
    Dr_Crypto said:
    Quite right but, as Sheffield uni have said he doesn't have to pay it, he's rich beyond his wildest dreams.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shakin_Steve said:  
    Quite right but, as Sheffield uni have said he doesn't have to pay it, he's rich beyond his wildest dreams.
    But nowhere to spend it. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport