New Post Advanced Search

Council Tax banding

2 replies 71 views
Followed the advice given by Martin Lewis and applied for a reassessment of council tax band on a property I have let on and off for twenty years. Assessor came out within two weeks and agreed the band was wrong. Being changed from an E to a D and twenty years council tax overcharge to be reimbursed. So thank you!

Replies

• 122252122252 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    After watching Martin's show regarding council tax banding I decided to check mine.  I have found that I am in tax band c when my neighbours with the same size properties are in tax band B.  I filled out the appeal form and today received a letter saying that my claim was rejected as it was out of time.  I don't remember Martin saying that the claim had to be made within 6 months of moving in.  I would like to appeal this decision but don't know how to go about it.  Any advice would be appreciated.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    122252 said:
    After watching Martin's show regarding council tax banding I decided to check mine.  I have found that I am in tax band c when my neighbours with the same size properties are in tax band B.  I filled out the appeal form and today received a letter saying that my claim was rejected as it was out of time.  I don't remember Martin saying that the claim had to be made within 6 months of moving in.  I would like to appeal this decision but don't know how to go about it.  Any advice would be appreciated.
    If you are outside the 6 month time limit, there is absolutely no point in appealing the decision. It won't get you anywhere and it will delay any actual investigation of your band.

What you should do (and should have done rather than fill in an appeal form) is write to the VOA and ask for a CT band review as your home is in Band C and similar properties (quote the addresses) are in Band B.