New Post Advanced Search

Council Tax Rebanding for New Build

3 replies 21 views
I rent a new build 3 bed semi detached house from a housing association. The estate is quite large and very new, 2017. After checking council tax landings for the other exact same houses on my estate, I noticed half of them were Band B and mine, along with the other 3 on my side of the street, are Band C. I challenged this with VO who rejected it. The decision was given that my house was not the same as the other houses and therefore the correct banding had been given. If I wanted it reconsidered, I'd have to provide new, substantial evidence. I have tried and failed to get floor plans of the other houses from the builder or the housing association. All of my "type" of house on the estate is owned by the housing association and they are distinctly smaller than the rest of the estate. 
Given that there are no 1991 prices for these houses, and none of them have sold as they are all rented, how else can I prove the banding is incorrect? Would using house prices of other, nearby, ex-council houses of similar size be acceptable? I have found sold prices for those going back to 1997 which would corroborate my claim.

Thanks

Replies

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may help, but 1997 prices aren't that great for establishing 1991 values as the market in some areas was very buoyant. Check the bands of this ex council houses are those of similar houses the same as yours?
  • karenthegeordiekarenthegeordie Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It may help, but 1997 prices aren't that great for establishing 1991 values as the market in some areas was very buoyant. Check the bands of this ex council houses are those of similar houses the same as yours?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I can't get earlier house prices than 1997, they just don't exist. The ex council houses which I was comparing to are actually Band A so even worse than what I thought. How could it be so different? Is it purely down to being on a new build estate? Or is it square metre? This whole thing is crazy!

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is based on what a property would have sold for in 1991 and everything which would go (positives and negatives) to arrive at the price is included. Historically houses on council estates were low banded because there wasn't much demand for them in 1991 and sale prices reflected this