Fridge-Freezer Delivery to Apartment

Apologies if a similar question has been posted before but in short my Fridge-Freezer is on its last legs, it will keep stuff frozen/chilled but only just (Thermometer reads -4 to -5 Deg C in the Freezer with the it set to its lowest temperature setting). I have had a look at all the usual places (AO, Currys etc.) for getting a new one delivered, the problem is I live in a 3rd floor apartment (with no lift, approx. 42 steps up) on my own, realistically it is a 2 man lift to get it in.
Given the current climate with social distancing has anyone had any recent (in the last few weeks) of having large items delivered to upper floors? All the online places are now saying they are trying to minimise contact from deliveries etc. so I am slightly concernced that it may be delivered by one person (who probably won't bring it up, leaving me without a functioning fridge-freezer). I know a lot of places say it is up to the delivery driver on the day to assess and decide if it is safe but has anyone found some places are more willing than others?
Found one on Currys that seems reasonably priced and availiable for delivery soon, does anyone have any specific dealings with them? Seems the online reviews are mixed at best and couldn't find any obvious places to add note for delivery when ordering (to tell them where the apartment is). TBH looked elsewhere but most seem to have very limited stock/devliery dates in May or later so this seems to be the only place.

Alternatively if anyone has suggestions of some of the smaller, less well known names that do a good, reliable delivery service that would be great (seems that they have more stock at the moment)? Ideally I would like to get the old one taken away so I don't have to deal with that separatley.
FInally any suggestions as to what may be wrong with the current one will be even better, I have tried all the obvious things: checking the door seals, cleaning behind, making sure there is air flow inside and out.
Apologies for the long post

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• edited 1 April 2020 at 12:43PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2020 at 12:43PM
    Would not think at this stage you will get delivery all the way to your flat.

Have you made sure there is no ice build up and that the rear compressor is completely clean dust free?

When was the last time it was defrosted?
    Perhaps it just needs new thermostat sensor.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • TAJ9TAJ9 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    No ice build in the freezer compartment and I have already checked and cleaned behind it.
    Never been defrosted becuase it is frost free, however just had a quick look online and realised that frost can still build behind the panel at the back of the freezer compartment.
    Looking inside the freezer does look like there is some ice behind the panel (there is an inspection panel and could see some ice through that). Will have a go at removing the back panel tomorrow.
    Until now I didn't want to start taking parts off it in case that completly breaks it.
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a frost free one that after about 4 year started to block with ice. 
    I used up contents and defrosted it..it was fine then so did it every 6 months. It was still running fine at 8 year old when I moved and left it. 
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a similar problem with fridge freeze so was reading up on Euronics site and there is only the possibility of a 'socially distanced' delivery onto street or driveway. You'd have to go out and carry it in yourself. 2 fit people could manage this I guess. Also means the old fridge will have to wait for a paid-for council collection until after the lockdown ends.
    I'm going to check for hidden ice as suggested above but also I think the fan may not be working,  I don't recall hearing it lately yet in the past I think it used to start up as soon as the door is opened.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AO will deliver to just inside your flat front door, but not to a room (unless it's an American style F/F)

All deliveries will now be made to behind the main entrance of your home. If you have a shared entrance – if you live in an apartment block, for example – this means we’ll bring it into your apartment, not just the front entrance to the building.
    If you have a recycling collection booked, you’ll need to bring your item to your door ready for us to collect otherwise we won’t be able to remove it.
    https://ao.com/help-and-advice/my-ao/faqs
    whether they have any in stock is another matter. 
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    buglawton said:
    I have a similar problem with fridge freeze so was reading up on Euronics site and there is only the possibility of a 'socially distanced' delivery onto street or driveway. You'd have to go out and carry it in yourself. 2 fit people could manage this I guess. Also means the old fridge will have to wait for a paid-for council collection until after the lockdown ends.
    I'm going to check for hidden ice as suggested above but also I think the fan may not be working,  I don't recall hearing it lately yet in the past I think it used to start up as soon as the door is opened.
    The fan on mine was surrounded by ice so therefore not working.
    Try to defrost and i will keep my fingers crossed
  • edited 19 May 2020 at 1:50AM
    TOP_CATTOP_CAT Forumite
    385 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 19 May 2020 at 1:50AM
    Whats the order of things to check in ease of effort/work required.
    With fridges/freezers  not cooling or freezing ?

1)If its as simple as defrost then thats no trouble in this warm weather .
    2)Cleaning the compressor and area etc is easy enough just takes care and time .

How do you check the thermostat though?

If its loosing gas in the system then I believe its all over for the majority as  diy you cannot repair without specific knowledge, specific tools and alot of work .
  • TAJ9TAJ9 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just a quick update on this for anyone who has a similar problem in the future. I fully defrosted it last weekend. Turned it on earlier in the week all is now working well, freezer temperature is around -18 Deg C. So hopefully in the short term it should be ok, and I may have just saved myself £200+ that a new fridge/freezer would have cost. Thanks for the suggestions.
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant news. Just seen a Hotpoint fridge freezer delivered to a neighbours today, 2 men and they took it inside to the kitchen