Limited company account with money... Father passed away... What now?

Hi guys,

My father passed away few days ago. He was the sole director of the company. The shares was divided between my mum and dad.

My dad's will was that everything was passed to my mum. 

I know the company has some corporation tax to pay and even after that there will be some money (big chunk for us) left in the company. We need to wind up the company as we have no use of it.

I informed my dads accountant and he recommended that I become the interim director of the company and my mum becomes 100% shareholder and she takes out the money and then we close the company after.

Is this the correct way to do it? Please advise what do you think is the best option?

Will she need to pay dividend tax for taking out the money from the company as it is part of my dads estate and there is no tax for inheritance between husband and wife?

otherwise please advice what is the best way forward. we obviously want to retain as much money as possible from the leftovers after paying the corporation tax

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The accountant is best placed to answer questions as he would have full sight of all the paperwork
  • tasticz
    tasticz Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2020 at 9:21PM
    The accountant is best placed to answer questions as he would have full sight of all the paperwork
    I can also provide you with the answers to all your questions (everything) if you can help me.

edit: btw i just noticed your username. it was also an unforeseen circumstance!
  • The first thing to do would be to take care of the company liabilities and if your mum is not best placed to do that then making you a director so you can take care of it isn’t a bad idea. 

If your mum has inherited everything from your Dad then that should make her the sole shareholder anyway.

After paying the corporation tax and any other liabilities how you proceed depends on how much retained profits there are left to distribute. This is where you need to speak to your accountant. They will need to draw up final accounts. Paying out a final dividend is a simple option but will be subject to dividend tax rates, it might not be the best option. If the amount is below £25k you could strike the company off and treat the profits as a capital gain. If the amount is higher you will need a members voluntary liquidation which will have costs. 

Speak to your accountant. 
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    As Above, you need the accountant to do all the legwork, Get it wrong doing it yourself and your setting yourself only to fail and pay more tax. 
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    tasticz said:

Will she need to pay dividend tax for taking out the money from the company as it is part of my dads estate and there is no tax for inheritance between husband and wife?

Just to correct this - you need to think of the company as being completely separate from your dad's personal possessions.  The money in the company is NOT part of his estate - it belongs to the company, which is a separate legal entity.
    His shares in the company ARE part of his estate and from what you say will be inherited by your mother.    
    I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry for your loss. I'd start by discussing this with the Executor(s) under the Will. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure