PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

best way to keep food hot for family meal

We are having all the in-laws at the weekend so I will be catering for 11. I am doing a roast but will cook the meat early morning as I will need the oven for roast spuds etc. I have a food slicer and wil use that to slice the meat but how can I keep it hot until everthing else is ready. Thought about using the slow cooker to keep the sliced meat hot but worried that it may become to dry. If I put it in the oven just before serving will this also make it very dry. Would be gatful for any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi rev,

Unless you really want to cook the meat early in the morning, I wouldn't bother. Most joints taste so much better if they're allowed to rest so that that the meat can relax, for 20 to 30 minutes before carving. I just cover mine in tin foil and it doesn't lose much heat in a warm kitchen. This should allow you enough time to roast the potatoes etc in the oven.

If you really do want to cook the meat in the morning the best thing would be to carve it and put it into an oven proof dish. Add some gravy or juices from the meat to help keep it moist, cover and warm it up quickly in the oven at the last minute.

Pink
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Hi rev :wave:

I used to work in a children's home and used sometimes help our cook, make the sunday lunch for them all.

This is what I would do, put roast in first, then add roasties when there's about an hour left.

when they are half an hour off being ready, take meat out, allow to rest and slice, place under tin foil.

add yorkies and put all vegs into slow cook and put on

In 25 mins, it all should be ready to serve together:D
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business