CV details

As I have a lot of health issues, I am a honest person and would like to include these on my CV at the end of it. Instead of explaining myself  at the interview. Would be this a wise move or not? I rather let them know before, instead of attending the interview and receive a negative reply.
Thanks

Comments

• The one time I'd confirmed a medical condition during application was when asked by a housing association; still offered an interview (although it wasn't a quick process had to wait out a month till closing date etc as just the way they operate).
    The 'family business' before my current employer commanded I fill in application form which asked about number of children and heath at time of first interview and went on to ask in references but I get that is ignorant under naivety at best.  (and they ended up being quite special anyway and totally not worthy of the bother)
    My bro is disabled and paralysed due to an accident in the home has no option but to advise in a wheelchair, as buildings around our way isn't great for access, although he has given up hope of making it into work now. (few years on)

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2020 at 7:16PM
    As I have a lot of health issues, I am a honest person and would like to include these on my CV at the end of it. Instead of explaining myself  at the interview. Would be this a wise move or not? I rather let them know before, instead of attending the interview and receive a negative reply.
    Thanks

Do they affect your ability to do the job?  Would they mean you would need any special adjustment for the interview?  Do they explain gaps in your employment history?

If not, I would not include in a CV.
  • Meka3256
    Meka3256 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I would not include on a CV.  You could be impacted by bias, even if it's unconscious.  Also at the application stage it is not relevant.  If your health issues mean you can't do the job then don't apply.

If you receive an invite to interview, you can contact them to ensure adjustments are made for the interview.  If you are then offered the role, you can discuss adjustments with the hiring manager before accepting.

Your application will be read by a number of people, including everyone on the panel.  There is no need for that many people do know your medical history.  HR, your manager, and occupational health (if relevant) are the only people you need to share personal details with.

If your health issue is classed as a disability (which if it is long term probably will be), it cannot be used as a reason to not give you the job.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for your replies. Can I put down in the first email, as you are a 'disability confident employer', I wish to be interviewed. I am so upset with unsuccessful responses from employers when I mention my health. Is 'disability confident employer' just on paper and not carried out in practice or do employers take this into account?  I have the experience in the field I am applying. 

• AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    add a covering letter, where you can explain in more detail.
  • oh_really
    oh_really Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thank you for your replies. Can I put down in the first email, as you are a 'disability confident employer', I wish to be interviewed. I am so upset with unsuccessful responses from employers when I mention my health. Is 'disability confident employer' just on paper and not carried out in practice or do employers take this into account?  I have the experience in the field I am applying. 

This has been addressed for you previously and you ignored. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77485573#Comment_77485573
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback