Furlough

I have been placed on furlough and my employer won't pay me my wages until he has received the grant himself from the government.
Is this correct? Or does he still have to pay me the 80% and then claim?

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    He should be able to get an emergency loan from the government to see him through. In practice though there may not be a lot you can do to force things, insolvency is likely not the answer to this problem (it will take a while, and you likey would see very little, no forloughing for defunct companies)

I suggest you repost in one of the covid boards
  • It is strange. I am in same boat, but getting paid as normal.  I think you should kick off
    With love, POSR <3
  • mwarby
    I would suggest kicking off maybe unwise, the employer could decide not to furlough and either just lay off or fire the employee. Even if none of that happens you may gain a reputation which holds you back
  • I've only gone back freelancing since January this year and I've been working under an umbrella company. I contacted them today, cause its seem clear to me that I would fall under the furlough scheme. But their response was: 

Regarding the Chancellor’s announcement regarding 80% wages for furloughed workers, there is a lack of detailed information so far.

The team are currently reviewing the guidance available and awaiting further clarification on the government proposals and discussing with clients on their application.

Has anybody received the furlough payments through there umbrella companies or have any further information on this?

• mwarby
    This board really isn't the place to be posting these queries, this board is for those contemplating insolvency, I see you posted elsewhere and got an answer
  • rach51
    rach51 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 31 March 2020 at 12:30PM
    partner went bankcrupt last month  and left his  job due to long on call hours,  but cant go to another job now with coronovirus . If he asks old employer to reinstate him to get furlough would the bankcruptcy take some of his money?  He would get nearly £2,500 each month from it
  • mwarby
    furloughed income is still income, it is paid by the employer in the same way as normal wages. If your partners circumstances have changed, they need to inform the OR. it's also possible the OR will take the view that some expenses have gone down (if your furloughed you won't need fuel, season tickets or parking say)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure