Contact from HMRC

Options
I am self employed. Just wondering how HMRC will contact us all. Told they don’t email, message etc so should it just be put out there not to respond to emails etc if that’s correct just in case of hoax? Am I correct that they will only contact us via post? Thanks. 

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jbcksshm said:
    I am self employed. Just wondering how HMRC will contact us all. Told they don’t email, message etc so should it just be put out there not to respond to emails etc if that’s correct just in case of hoax? Am I correct that they will only contact us via post? Thanks. 
    contact you for what? 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    If you mean the SEISS announced yesterday I suspect no one knows yet as the chancellor said HMRC were having to build a new system to implement it.

In any case if you did receive an email you should go to gov.uk and log onto your Self Assessment account separately rather than click on any links in the email.
  • jbcksshm
    jbcksshm Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.
    Contact for what:  I was wondering how they will contact us to tell us how the payments to us will be made (the 80% of our profit based on our last 3 years tax returns). 

Since my post, I received an email from HMRC  part of which said the following:

‘Self-employed people do not need to get in touch with HMRC as the scheme isn’t yet open for applications. HMRC will contact eligible customers by the beginning of June, inviting them to apply.

Unfortunately, we are aware of an increase in scam emails, calls and texts. If someone gets in touch claiming to be from HMRC, saying that financial help can be claimed or that a tax refund is owed, and asks you to click on a link or to give information such as your name, credit card or bank details, please do not respond.’

So this answers my question.

I still do a paper Self Assessment and send to HMRC for my tax/NI to be calculated, I have never logged on to an account. 

Thanks for replies.

• whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 March 2020 at 8:19AM
    Options
    jbcksshm said:
    Thank you for the replies.
    Contact for what:  I was wondering how they will contact us to tell us how the payments to us will be made (the 80% of our profit based on our last 3 years tax returns). 

Since my post, I received an email from HMRC  part of which said the following:

‘Self-employed people do not need to get in touch with HMRC as the scheme isn’t yet open for applications. HMRC will contact eligible customers by the beginning of June, inviting them to apply.

Unfortunately, we are aware of an increase in scam emails, calls and texts. If someone gets in touch claiming to be from HMRC, saying that financial help can be claimed or that a tax refund is owed, and asks you to click on a link or to give information such as your name, credit card or bank details, please do not respond.’

So this answers my question.

I still do a paper Self Assessment and send to HMRC for my tax/NI to be calculated, I have never logged on to an account. 

Thanks for replies.

If you have no online account with Gov.UK to complete your self assessment tax returns then I imagine they do not have an email address or phone number for you?  Therefore it is probable that they will write to you using snail mail to invite you to apply.  
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • jbcksshm
    jbcksshm Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you, I will get in touch with them.
  • whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    jbcksshm said:
    Thank you, I will get in touch with them.
    HMRC have specifically asked people NOT to contact them.  They will contact you and as far as I can tell not for some weeks.  If lots of people start contacting them then it's going to take a lot longer to sort out.
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure