terminating vodafone contract - it's just wrong!!!

Just moved this from the Telephone forum...

Apologies if this has been covered before, but why is it that Vodafone makes customers jump through hoops to cancel their contract (in writing, 30 days notice), but if their customers want to upgrade they can do it on the phone instantaneously? It's just a nasty way of getting another month's payment out of people - and in reality, 30 days after writing the letter plus the day or two in the post, plus the time to process, so effectively longer than 30 days from the time of making the decision to quit. (Not to mention, who can be bothered to write a letter these days?? Lazy, I know, but all too easy to procrastinate or forget for a day or two).

I've even been told I'm "out of contract", and even so can't just stop paying my bill without getting into trouble.

I know this is all probably in my fine print (for a contract I took out ten years ago), but I still think it's a lousy policy and lord knows how much money they have squeezed from people who no longer wish to have their service.

Rant over. Thanks.

Comments

• sweep9
    sweep9 Posts: 407 Forumite
    I tried to cancel my contract over the phone. They insisted that I give them 30 days notice in writing.

When sending in my letter I made sure that I quoted the time / date / person of the call that I made and gave them a date of 30 days from that call.

Vodafone then ended the contract on the date that I gave :D:D:D
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    The 30 day contract clause is not from the companies, it's from the ombudsman.

Not sure what they mean by out of contract since once you served your minimum period, you can give 30 days written notice and thats it. If you cancel prior to the minimum period they can refuse or make you pay a sum to get out of it.

Written notice is the best way in the industry as it covers them against problems with customers later who call in to say they haven't cancelled or the dates not what they want etc etc.

Granted you can add a good 7 days on due to post, internal mail, someone actually doing it etc.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • It is annoying, I totally agree. But don't be put off calling them up first and tell them you're thinking of leaving. In my experience, they'll offer you all sorts of things to try and keep you with them, and are happy to haggle with prices and plans and new handsets.

(You'll effectively be entering a new contract, but they might match/better any other plan you were thinking of getting. I'm sure it's the same with any mobile provider. I promise I don't work for any of them!)
    By replying to this post you are agreeing to my Terms and Conditions which state that I am correct
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,020
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I don't mind the 30 day written notice rule so long as they stick to it, but make sure you send it recorded delivery though!!

When I phoned up to cancel they offered me a much better deal for £10 a month, which was cheaper than switching to PAYG, so I took it.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Can Any1 Help I Have A Vodafone On Contract And The Monthly Bills Are Rising Yet I Dont Use My Fone Any More Than Normal When I Ring Them An Ask Why They Say Things Loke Uve Bin Usein The Internet An Stuff Which I No I Dont An When I Ask Them To Send Me A Paper Bill So I Can Look For My Self They Get Rude On The Fone An Cut Me Off Are Vodafone Makeing Bills Up As They Go Along????? Ive Cancelled My Direct Debit Now So Lets See Wat They Do
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    si.the.man wrote: »
    Can Any1 Help I Have A Vodafone On Contract And The Monthly Bills Are Rising Yet I Dont Use My Fone Any More Than Normal When I Ring Them An Ask Why They Say Things Loke Uve Bin Usein The Internet An Stuff Which I No I Dont An When I Ask Them To Send Me A Paper Bill So I Can Look For My Self They Get Rude On The Fone An Cut Me Off Are Vodafone Makeing Bills Up As They Go Along?????
    Register for an online account - you should be able to see an itemised bill showing what is and isn't counted in your bundled amount. They had problems with counting data calls a couple of months ago but I think that may have just been people who subscribed to the 'unlimited' internet package and it was corrected the following month.
    Ive Cancelled My Direct Debit Now So Lets See Wat They Do
    Generally not a good idea! All they'll do is chase you to pay via other methods. It won't make the bill go away.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,020
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Can Any1 Help I Have A Vodafone On Contract And The Monthly Bills Are Rising Yet I Dont Use My Fone Any More Than Normal When I Ring Them An Ask Why They Say Things Loke Uve Bin Usein The Internet An Stuff Which I No I Dont An When I Ask Them To Send Me A Paper Bill So I Can Look For My Self They Get Rude On The Fone An Cut Me Off Are Vodafone Makeing Bills Up As They Go Along????? Ive Cancelled My Direct Debit Now So Lets See Wat They Do

Is there any reason you start every word with a capital letter and don't use any punctuation? You should maybe pay more attention in your English lessons at school!! Maybe ask Santa for a dictionary and grammar book in your Christmas stocking?

Don't cancel your direct debit, otherwise they'll send balifs after you and it'll end up costing you even more (they'll charge you a fee to collect the debt!!). Reinstate it IMMEDIATELY!

Write to Vodafone (recorded delivery) telling them that you're giving them 30 days notice to cancel your contract.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can Any1 Help I Have A Vodafone On Contract And The Monthly Bills Are Rising Yet I Dont Use My Fone Any More Than Normal When I Ring Them An Ask Why They Say Things Loke Uve Bin Usein The Internet An Stuff Which I No I Dont An When I Ask Them To Send Me A Paper Bill So I Can Look For My Self They Get Rude On The Fone An Cut Me Off Are Vodafone Makeing Bills Up As They Go Along????? Ive Cancelled My Direct Debit Now So Lets See Wat They Do

Turn off your Caps Lock.

:rolleyes:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Is there any reason you start every word with a capital letter and don't use any punctuation?
    My theory is that, from the number of posts that come through in this style, there's some part of the forum software that badly reformats ALL CAPS to Sentence Case - makes it even harder to read than all caps though, even if there was correct spelling and the odd bit of punctuation ;).
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Write to Vodafone (recorded delivery) telling them that you're giving them 30 days notice to cancel your contract.
    Assuming he's out of minimum contract term of course.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    If you cancel your DD, they can just phone bar you an send you a letter. Then if you ignore it further they will fully bar your phone until you sort it out. You are still on contract with them so you are breaching your contract for payment and you will have to pay any rental even if barred.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure