Letter from Moorcroft group

I received a letter from Moorcroft Group Plc yesterday in my name and address as below
Dear Mr XXXX,
We are attempting to contact the above named person regarding a personal matter and we have been provided your address as a possible address for our customer.
if you are the person named above, please contact our office on ph xxxxx

however if you are not the person named above, it is also important that you contact us so that we can update our records accordingly.

This appears to be a debt collection company - I have never dealt with them before and am not aware of any debt.
I signed up to Experian and I have their highest credit score of 999
How should I respond - I have no idea what I could owe them for and have read online about them harrasing people - should I acknowledge the address is correct and get more details?

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They have most likely sent out loads of similar letters to a lot of people with a name similar to yours.

Me, I would just ignore them until they get back with more info or get more serious and if they do, send them the proveit letter available on the National Debline site, or the one available here on MSE.

For now, would just ignore.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd actually do the opposite. Ignoring the letter will probably just cause more letters and worst case a visit as they may assume you are avoiding paying debt. You will just keep questioning what it's about.  Give them a call and see. If they got the wrong person they can amend their records and stop contacting you. If you do have a debt then arrange to pay it back! I've dealt with moorcroft and they were fine. You want to ensure someone hasn't tried to use your identity. Just because your score is ok with 1 reference agency it doesn't mean everything is ok. 
  • Mr87
    Mr87 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 March 2020 at 11:34PM
    I once dealt with Moorcroft on behalf of my wife, with them pursuing an EE debt. The EE debt turned out to be for a mobile phone fraudulently taken out in her name. Once we'd established that and notified EE, and notified Moorcroft and asked them to communicate with EE over the issue, the letters stopped coming. So personally I feel you might as well see what the debt relates to - if you genuinely don't know what it's about, and you don't think you owe anything, there's a chance you can stop the letters here and now.

See here: https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/your-rights/disputing-debts-with-creditors.aspx
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Moorcroft don’t do home visits, they just act on behalf of their client banks or companies.
    Its a fishing trip to glean information, their client will have bought a recent portfolio of bad debt, and one of the accounts has similar details to you, they will have written to a couple of dozen “John smiths” trying to find the right one.

Its up to you, if you want to resolve the matter, provide them with your details, and they will either match you to the debt, or they won’t.

The onus is actually on them to prove you owe the money, not on you to prove you don’t, depends how much stress you want to derive from this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure