Still paying childcare while government closes nurseries

New Post Advanced Search

Still paying childcare while government closes nurseries

5 replies 272 views
samchelsiesamchelsie Forumite
3 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
Im not sure where is best to post or ask this question?
As off next week the childminder I use for my 18 month old has followed government guidelines and will be closing. They have stated that full fees will still be payable during the closed period. (And lets face who knows how long this will last) Is this something they can do or is there any help for parents out there?
Hoping someone can help :)
Any advice appreciated 

Replies

• Michelle_1992Michelle_1992 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Also wondering this myself as I’ve been told the same thing.
  • ToxicWombleToxicWomble Forumite
    611 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Are you still getting paid for being off ?
  • pjcox2005pjcox2005 Forumite
    761 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Are you still getting paid for being off ?
    That's not really the same thing though is it. Someone may be paid whilst off, either sick pay or a company supporting them, but that's because the company has factored it into their budget and set aside money for it.
    I expect for example, a lawyer's clients are not paying them for work they don't do, bar staff aren't being paid by customers still paying money without receiving any service/drink, cinema staff aren't being paid by customers not allowed into the building to watch a film.

We've got the same. I expect it comes down to what contract did you sign and then how enforceable it is? Many will be 1 months notice so I guess the other option is to cancel and then see how lucky you are with a spot being available when you come back to needing it.
  • ELou1978ELou1978 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    I'm in the same boat with regards nursery, I'm also self employed and trying to understand what help there maybe, if any as I'm also a single parent. 
  • edited 20 March at 6:16PM
    GalloglassGalloglass Forumite
    997 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March at 6:16PM
    There is a simple remedy for this ( though not for the virus). Search for "frustration of contract".

Basically the nurseries are saying you have a contract. Gyms will be saying the same thing. But unless there is a term in the contract that says 'in the event there is a virus and we have to close you owe us money etc.' they are stuffed. 

Expect all sorts of threats but face them down and explain "frustration of contract" to them

Climbed the ladder to success in life? Take that ladder and lend it to someone less fortunate.