New Post Advanced Search
I live in a 2 bedroom 3 person house which is a new build  which I rent off the local  housing authority,  my neighbours live in a large 4 bedroom house and I pay the same council tax, I have tried to get it changed with out success,  could it be right,i think it's so unfair?

Replies

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alyb24 said:
    I live in a 2 bedroom 3 person house which is a new build  which I rent off the local  housing authority,  my neighbours live in a large 4 bedroom house and I pay the same council tax, I have tried to get it changed with out success,  could it be right,i think it's so unfair?
    Yours is a new build value taxed now.
    The neighbours are probably taxed on an 1991 valuation?
    You have now discovered that council tax is unfair and needs a new system.
    Welcome to the UK  :'(
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Alyb24Alyb24 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    There's is a new build as well? Just the size of both houses is so different. When I challenged it they said it went on market rent, rip off Britain!
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alyb24 said:
    There's is a new build as well? Just the size of both houses is so different. When I challenged it they said it went on market rent, rip off Britain!
    I always thought it went on valuation of property? Have you actually went through the correct procedure to challenge valuation or have been fobbed off by council?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter when the house was built it will always be valued on its notional 1991 value (Eng and Scot), 2003 value (Wales). It is possible that 2 completely different HA houses could be in the same band, as  one could be at the top of the band and the other at the bottom. You need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (E & W) and the Assessor (Scot). to ask about the band and if it is less than 6 months since you first occupied your home you have a right of appeal.