New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Helping hand

7 replies 291 views
Just wanted a bit of advice... I want to try and help my daughter get to a from work. She owns a moped but can’t afford to insure it... I bought her the moped initially not having the full information that she didn’t have the resources in insure it (long story) .  I have asked her to sign the moped back over to me so I don’t lose the investment, which she is happy to do. Is it possible for me to insure it though as if I let her borrow it from me? So like I own it but she is insured to ride it. She doesn’t live at my address and it would be kept at her address? 
Sorry I havent clue and want her to be road legal but without the chance of her selling the moped. 

Replies

• KaronherKaronher Forumite
    767 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I am not 100% sure but am fairly sure that the person insured - in this case you - has to be the main user. If not, all teenagers would have their families insuring their vehicles in their name. You could try it the other way round - her as the insured and you as a named driver but I don't know how well that will work as I don't know about your no claims.
    :snow_laug Getting ready for Christmas 2020:snow_laug

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2020.
  • KaronherKaronher Forumite
    767 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    This might explain a bit better

What is fronting in car insurance?

Fronting is when you declare a safer driver as the main driver on a policy even though they’ll be doing less driving, in order to get cheaper premiums. It is considered to be car insurance fraud.

Sometimes parents and guardians will take out a car insurance policy in their own name and let their child use the car in order to avoid paying higher premiums associated with younger drivers. This is illegal – your policy could be invalidated and you could even be prosecuted for insurance fraud.

:snow_laug Getting ready for Christmas 2020:snow_laug

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2020.
  • Smiles123Smiles123 Forumite
    18 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sorry i might not have explained myself properly... could my daughter take out insurance in her own name at her own address if she didn’t actually own the moped? A bit like if I rented it to her? 
    I want her to be able to legitimately ride it but not own the moped so that she can’t sell it.
    thanks 
  • edited 15 March at 10:12PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    20.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 March at 10:12PM
    You do not have to be the registered keeper of a vehicle, in order to obtain insurance on it.

You are what’s known as a named driver.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She cannot insure a vehicle she does not own and if she is the main driver then the insurance has to be in her name.  So either she gives and signs the moped back to you and you either drive it (once you have insured it) or sell it or you will need to leave the moped in her name and help her get insurance.  The only other way I can think of you doing it is to insure the moped in your name, once it has been signed over and ask if you can put your daughter on as a second driver.  This may not be cheaper  though. 
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • prb1984prb1984 Forumite
    17 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    is that right enthusiasticsaver? I never knew.
    For years my parents (just as a quirk of the paperwork) were the owners of each others cars. I.e Dad was the reg owner on the car my mum mainly drove, and visa versa. 
  • GalloglassGalloglass Forumite
    635 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    She cannot insure a vehicle she does not own
    I'm going to disagree with that. There are a significant number of new cars on the road where the owner is a finance company and the keeper may or may not be the driver. If you check a V5 document, you will see it says that though it mentions a keeper, it is not proof of ownership.

Your daughter can insure as keeper if she is the main user though title may be yours.