Forum Home » Loans

Still owe money AFTER settlement

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Still owe money AFTER settlement

1 reply 161 views
I've had a loan with NatWest for about 3 years now and still owed 2k. Contacted them on 18th February for a settlement figure and paid it straight off including an early repayment charge, the lady on the phone said that's all closed now and she even cancelled the direct debit for me. The direct debit should of been took on 2nd march had I not settled the loan but NatWest have attempted to take the direct debit on the 2nd but as it was cancelled they have taken it on the 4th as an unpaid direct debit(which I'll get charged for). NatWest have said that the settlement figure didn't include the final direct debit. How can they give a settlement figure that isn't the whole balance?

Replies

• edited 13 March at 1:59PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 March at 1:59PM
    Hi,

Make a complaint to NatWest, saying that the customer service agent that took the payment failed to notify you that the a final payment was required, and would be taken by Direct Debit.  Ask them not to record a negative marker on your credit files and to waive the associated late payment charge.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley: