Ccj from 2008

Hi
Need a bit of advice, bought a car in 2005 on finance, paid 5grand back and then gave the car back in 2007 as I could no longer afford it. I've now just recieved a letter saying I owe £15789. And I had a ccj against me in 2008. The company in question no longer trades and it's another company requesting the money. I was told when I handed the car back I would have nothing to pay as the value of the car covered the outstanding 7k finance. It's that long ago I have no paperwork for it. Where do I stand legally? I had no idea about the ccj. The paperwork the company's sent me doesnt mention them taking the car back. Just states I owe 15k. But also says I paid 5k up to the point where I fell into financial difficulties. I'm lost and need advice please

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It is my understanding that a creditor has six years to seek enforcement.  After six years have passed, the creditor is required to seek permission from the court if they wish to enforce the judgement.  The judge would require a good reason as to why the original judgement was not previously enforced.

What paperwork have they sent you?  Are they going back to the court to seek permission for enforcement?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • A letter with all the terms and agreements of my finance. Followed up by letter of several letters default. On the opening letter it says a ccj was obtained in march 2008. A year after I gave the car up. As far as I'm aware I haven't or ever had a ccj.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure