Forum Home » Debate House Prices & the Economy

FTSE 100 crashed nearly 10% in the first 10 minutes this morning

New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

FTSE 100 crashed nearly 10% in the first 10 minutes this morning

19 replies 843 views
OK, this is getting a little scary now, other than my pension I got out of stocks and shares months ago thank God. 
I sold two properties also last year which I started to think was mistake, turned out to be an accidental good decision. Might put two more on the market in the next few weeks as a cushion and before it is too late.

Replies

• snoolouisnooloui Forumite
    15 posts
    10 Posts
    The price of oil seems to be compounding the coronavirus worries. It’s looking pretty bleak this morning.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    71.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheap oil should be welcomed. 
    “An investor who has all the answers doesn’t even understand all the questions.” - John Templeton
  • RelievedSheffRelievedSheff PPR Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    The FTSE has recovered some ground. Still down though.
  • movilogomovilogo Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a concept of Black Swan event. But this Corona virus has demonstrated the world what Black Dinosaur effect can be. 
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • silvertoothsilvertooth Forumite
    240 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Stock markets crashing is a vision of the property markets soon after
  • TheCheerleaderTheCheerleader Forumite
    24 posts
    10 Posts
    Trading has been suspended on the Dow and S&P index for 15 mins after dropping more than 7% on opening. I suspect further drops later, if it drops more than 20% in the session trading will be suspended for the day to avoid the type of crash in the 80’s.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    71.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Trading has been suspended on the Dow and S&P index for 15 mins after dropping more than 7% on opening. I suspect further drops later, if it drops more than 20% in the session trading will be suspended for the day to avoid the type of crash in the 80’s.
    Let's be honest. Trump appears a complete plonker with the narrarative he's given. Nor is the US health care system up to the job. 
    “An investor who has all the answers doesn’t even understand all the questions.” - John Templeton
    24 posts
    10 Posts
    Let's be honest. Trump appears a complete plonker with the narrarative he's given. Nor is the US health care system up to the job. 
    Oh Christ, where do you start with Trump’s insanity?
    Millions of Americans live cheek by jowl in unsanitary conditions, let alone not have access to health care. 
    It’s particularly unhelpful at this time, to be arresting immigrants at health care stations and deporting, it will stop people seeking treatment when needed. This could become very nasty very quickly.

24 posts
    10 Posts
    Ftse closed 7.7% down, its lost 20% since end of Jan, so officially a bear market.
  • adonis10adonis10 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    triathlon said:
    OK, this is getting a little scary now, other than my pension I got out of stocks and shares months ago thank God. 
    I sold two properties also last year which I started to think was mistake, turned out to be an accidental good decision. Might put two more on the market in the next few weeks as a cushion and before it is too late.
    Why 'thank god'? Are you approaching retirement? With so many properties surely you will have spare cash to invest in the dip?