A new job and yet another new pension - any choices?

dh is starting new job. So he will have 3 or 4 pensions on the go from previous employments.

Can he keep the last one going and ask his new employer to contribute into that one rather than the one they provide?

I'm just think of all the start up costs of each new policy would eat into his investment pot??

or does it not matter?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can he keep the last one going and ask his new employer to contribute into that one rather than the one they provide?

Depends on the old scheme scheme and depends on the employer.
    I'm just think of all the start up costs of each new policy would eat into his investment pot??

Most modern pensions dont have any start up costs or are very minimal at best. Indeed, many modern pensions are far cheaper than legacy pensions (although the reverse can be true at times - i would estimate 1 in 5 old pensions are still worth keeping).
    or does it not matter?

You have focused on the number of pensions. The most important bit is how are they invested or how are they going to increase over time to pay the income in retirement. Having 4 excellent quality pensions is better than having 1 naff one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure