Forum Home» Loans

Loans over £100K

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Loans over £100K

14 replies 1K views
funtime2funtime2 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Are there any loan providers that will loan over £100k?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as long as you gave something to secure it on such as a house or business.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    funtime2 said:
    Are there any loan providers that will loan over £100k?
    Speak to a bank.
    Why do you want the money ?
  • John_John_ Forumite
    569 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yes, there are banks that will lend massively more than this. You can get hundreds of millions or even billions secured. You can get hundreds of millions unsecured too if your credit rating is good enough.
  • venisonvenison Forumite
    4.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    John_ said:
    Yes, there are banks that will lend massively more than this. You can get hundreds of millions or even billions secured. You can get hundreds of millions unsecured too if your credit rating is good enough.
    Really?  do you honestly believe that?
    Stay safe, keep well and take care x
  • edited 9 March at 5:30PM
    foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 March at 5:30PM
    venison said:
    John_ said:
    I would think John's response was worth as much as the OP's question.
  • John_John_ Forumite
    569 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    venison said:
    John_ said:
    I more than believe it, I’ve the resultant risks on one of the portfolios that I manage.
  • edited 9 March at 7:10PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 March at 7:10PM
    John_ said:
    venison said:
    John_ said:
    I more than believe it, I’ve the resultant risks on one of the portfolios that I manage.
    Are you actually stating that you have customers who have been able to get 'hundreds of millions' unsecured?  I cannot 'imagine' any responsible financial institution lending 'hundreds of millions' without some sort of security.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    John_ said:
    venison said:
    John_ said:
    WOW, but I bet the indivdual you are in business with wouldnt think able joining a money saving forum to ask the folk on there where to borrow millions of pounds from.
  • John_John_ Forumite
    569 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    John_ said:
    venison said:
    John_ said:
    Are you actually stating that you have customers who have been able to get 'hundreds of millions' unsecured?  I cannot 'imagine' any responsible financial institution lending 'hundreds of millions' without some sort of security.
    Yes, it’s a major part of business in Finance. Local authorities use it for project finance, companies will use it for working capital, or expansion, there are literally hundreds of reasons for a firm to borrow unsecured.

You’ve presumably heard of LIBOR? That’s supposed to represent the rate for unsecured borrowing.

The whole credit default swap market only exists so that companies and banks can hedge some of the risk that they have from unsecured lending.

Utilities, too, often borrow unsecured. They will, for example, have loans over decades where the repayment at the end is linked to inflation.

Here’s a news report on one class of unsecured lending to local authorities which went wrong, resulting in a fair few banks facing legal challenges. The amounts borrowed here were in the hundreds of millions.

Given your username, hopefully you’ll see that what you can imagine and what’s daily practice don’t match in this case.
  • John_John_ Forumite
    569 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    John_ said:
    venison said:
    John_ said:
    WOW, but I bet the indivdual you are in business with wouldnt think able joining a money saving forum to ask the folk on there where to borrow millions of pounds from.
    No, you’re doubtless right, but given the utter lack of context in their question my answer was as good as any was going to be. He asked if you can borrow over £100k, and as I pointed out, yes you can.