Civi Partnership 'upgrade' for straight couples?

moneymabelmoneymabel Forumite
7.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
I've been looking into having a Civil Partnership with my other half of 20 years. it will be just the 'signing a bit of paper' and leaving job, no ceremony.  Anyway question is, I've seen that gay couples can 'upgrade' their CP to a marriage by simply signing a document, I'm completely aware that this is because gay couples previously weren't allowed to marry and so prob had a CP instead. However, I'd love to 'upgrade' to a marriage without all the accompanying words etc, even a basic ceremony is too much for me (anxiety issues)
Wondering if anyone knows if there will be a chance in future to just 'upgrade' without the hassle!! (Yes I know, not very romantic lol)

Replies

• edited 3 March 2020 at 8:33PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 March 2020 at 8:33PM
    Well, that's a real 'crystal ball' question ! 
    I doubt you'll get an actual answer on here, but may get opinions.  For what it's worth, my bet is on 'no' on the assumption that the upgrade option will only be for those who didn't have the marriage choice in the first place.
    Why not go for a very basic registry office wedding?  Just the two of you, the registrar, a couple of witnesses and a few simple words would do the trick.
  • moneymabelmoneymabel Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou! Yes I'm thinking no too but I live in hope!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals