80th birthday present for Dad

Options
My Dad turns 80 this month and I need inspiration for a present he would appreciate. Sadly my mother passed away last June so my Dad has been lost without her since. He's not as able as he used to be so he mainly spends his days reading and watching tv, only going out for the newspaper or groceries. He's never been one for birthdays in the sense he doesn't like anyone making a fuss over him or spending money on him, all suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    My mum was 80 a couple of weeks ago, loved the idea of having Sunday lunch paid for once a month with her sister. Or does he have the possibility of a Netflix subscription, if he enjoys watching tv?
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about a photo book of photos of his life? that way you can incorporate lots of photos of him and your mum and the rest of the family
  • CapricornLass
    CapricornLass Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 July 2020 at 10:33PM
    Options
    I'm assuming that when you say he is less able, that  you mean he finds walking harder.  If he lives close to you, perhaps he would appreciate being taken out for some days out, rather than having a present, especially as he spends most of his time at home.  It doesn't have to be exotic - a trip to the beach if you live near the coast and factor in a cup of tea and a sandwich, ditto any nice garden centres/gardens.   We live near Milestones in Basingstoke, which is devoted to reconstruction of old Basingstoke and its environs, and that always went down very well with my father (88 and with memory problems!)- maybe there is something similar near you which you could take your father to?  Silver screening - our local arts centre shows old films once a month .  Or he may have some ideas of his own?  You could always make your own 'vouchers' to give him on the day!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback