We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New mortgage for a pensioner

I am 65 years old with state pension and civil service pension totalling £18k p.a.
what is the likelihood of me obtaining a £75k repayment mortgage on a house OH and I own outright worth about £260k.

OH has pension income of around £13k and we have perfect credit history.

what % mortgage rate might we have to pay, do you think?

thanks for your thoughts
:A Goddess :A

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Should be feasible. In terms of rates, you could be looking from normal rates upwards depending on the finer details. 

    Have a chat with a broker, they can do some research based on your circumstances and give you a more accurate answer. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Is a standard mortgage the right product for your objectives? 
  • Nationwide do a later life mortgage that may suit you 
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 913 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Is a standard mortgage the right product for your objectives? 

    It was my first thought really. I want to clear a debt that’s costing me 6%, that’s my main objective😀 Any other thoughts are welcome😀

    must be a glitch on the MSE site.....saying I’m one character short!
    must be a glitch on the MSE site.....saying I’m one character short!
    :A Goddess :A
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.