Yep...it's yet ANOTHER bank account question

Ok, I went BR on the 12 Feb 2020 and received copies of letters sent to my bank accounts (Nationwide and Barclays) 2 days later, stating that the OR was not interested in the accounts and any monies in the account belong to me.  Now I'm very eager to get my budget in place and start organising my income/outgoings, but I don't want to arrange my DDs, Transfers, Standing Orders, etc. if my accounts are then frozen/closed.  I spoke to both banks pre-br and the people I spoke to were quite vague in their advice.  So should I a) wait, b) just go ahead and do it, c) speak to the banks AGAIN, or d) marry a rich man and live off his money? 

Comments

• Sorry its a bit of a waiting game..we find staff don't really know what will happen. 
    The or notifys the bank to say they have no interest in the account then its up to the bank. If frozen its usually for a short time..mine wasn't frozen. 
    As long as it's a basic account you should be ok but keep checking the status. 
    Sorry there is no definite answer 
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I’d say it’s perhaps worth calling if nothing else to see if accounts are frozen currently. I would imagine that given 2 weeks have passed you’d have had some contact if accounts were being closed. Ultimately as luvchocolate says you may well get no definitive answer, but imho it’s worth a shot.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 2 March 2020 at 3:20PM
    Samirish said:
    Ok, I went BR on the 12 Feb 2020 and received copies of letters sent to my bank accounts (Nationwide and Barclays) 2 days later, stating that the OR was not interested in the accounts and any monies in the account belong to me.  Now I'm very eager to get my budget in place and start organising my income/outgoings, but I don't want to arrange my DDs, Transfers, Standing Orders, etc. if my accounts are then frozen/closed.  I spoke to both banks pre-br and the people I spoke to were quite vague in their advice.  So should I a) wait, b) just go ahead and do it, c) speak to the banks AGAIN, or d) marry a rich man and live off his money? 
    You have it in writing your accounts won't be touched.. so they won't be touched. What's the complication? You are lucky mine was frozen for 2 weeks before they let it go. 
  • Samirish
    Samirish Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have it in writing that the OR is not interested in the accounts...that isn't to say that the banks won't freeze or close the accounts. 
  • mwarby
    Samirish said:
    I have it in writing that the OR is not interested in the accounts...that isn't to say that the banks won't freeze or close the accounts. 
    That is an important distinction and I think your quite correct there

in your case it’s worth bearing in mind that both banks you mention are generally friendly to those in bankruptcy(and other forms of insolvency) so the risk of them saying ‘nah we don’t want you as a customer anymore’ isn’t so high
  • thevdm
    thevdm Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 March 2020 at 8:43PM
    I had accounts that the OR wasn't interested in, they were frozen, one of them still is frozen despite me being discharged. I just haven't gotten around to travelling 1 mile to see them in person.

Personally I'd advise option D, I would put myself up for offer, but being 13 days discharged you'd have a hard time living off my money :p
    I may be wrong sometimes, I learn a little every time I'm corrected.
  • Samirish
    thevdm said:
    Personally I'd advise option D, I would put myself up for offer, but being 13 days discharged you'd have a hard time living off my money :p
    😂😂 Still tempting 🤔
  • Samirish
    So my Nationwide account was frozen yesterday (Friday 6th March), I went in with a copy of the letter from the OR but they said they needed the OR to fax it (they gave me the number).  I rang the OR who said he doesn't have a fax but would email them a copy.  I rang Nationwide today who said they wouldn't accept an email...it can only be faxed!!!  I'm sorry, have I gone to sleep and woken in some time in the 1980s?!!  I am now stuck without money for the foreseeable future as my OR isn't available at the weekend, and Nationwide refuse to unfreeze my account without a fax!!  Rediculous!! 
  • mwarby
    edited 7 March 2020 at 5:30PM
    I'm sure the OR is used to dealing with the various banks, I'd imagine they have a suitable email address in a none public facing department in the bank. I'd call your OR on Monday and see what they say

One option might be if friend or work has a fax machine is to use it to fax the letter you have to the number Nationwide have given you, worth a shot. But I wouldn't expect anything to happen over the weekend sorry
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure