We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What is the maximum I can pay into my pension

Good morning.
I'm selling my house so will have some funds soon and looking to top up my SIPP's.
I understand that the maximum that I can pay into a pension is £40k.
Does that equate to £30k by me and with the 25% I get from the government I get £10k, giving a total of £40k
Is this correct as I understand it?
Thank you

Comments

  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 982
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Newshound!
    Forumite
    Yes providing you earn at least £40k
  • I earn about £25-30k
    How would this affect this calculation?
    Thank you
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 982
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Newshound!
    Forumite
    You can only put into your pension up to 100% of your earnings each year. If you only earn £25k then that's all you can put into your pension, including the tax relief and any employer contribution.
  • Thank you very much for your help Swindiff. Much appreciated

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,505
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 February 2020 at 10:31AM
    Don't forget you will need to factor in the existing pension contributions made through your employment.

    And the uplift is 25% of what you contribute not 25% of the gross amount.  So if you contribute say £16k this gets basic rate tax relief of £4k added giving you £20k in the pension fund (£4k being 20% of £20k).
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,651
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Does that equate to £30k by me and with the 25% I get from the government I get £10k, giving a total of £40k

    Although it is not relevant in your case ( as you do not earn enough) I have to correct the maths here.

    25% of £30K is not £10 K , it is £7,500 .

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.