post BR advice

hi all, I get discharged form BR on Friday 5th and wanted to some advice as to what next. I saw the sticky board thread and was a little overwhelmed with it. so can anyone help?
what Dom I do regarding my bank acc? its a basic foundation acc at moment so do I request a change or will it happen auto? if so when?
when do I run a copy of my Experian report? and when do I request updates?
is there anything else I could/should do after Friday?
thanks for any help. 

Comments

• Hi nothing to do at the moment..log onto the I.S site on your discharge date..click on your name and status comes up discharged..this stays on there for 3 month so print a couple of in case needed. 
    Leave it a couple of months then check all the credit reports and if needed follow the advice on the sticky. 
    You will usually have to wait until BR is off your credit report before getting a normal bank account..but in my opinion not much difference to a basic. So in 5 years look to upgrade. 
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What facilities do you feel your missing ? Other than an overdraft(very very little chance of getting one till 6 year point) and cheque book they are much the same. If you don’t have contactless or Apple/android pay and want that then switching to another basic account might help
  • stevelo
    stevelo Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mwarby said:
    What facilities do you feel your missing ? Other than an overdraft(very very little chance of getting one till 6 year point) and cheque book they are much the same. If you don’t have contactless or Apple/android pay and want that then switching to another basic account might help
    no I am not missing anything I have Apple Pay its mire a question of is there anything I can do now rather than later in terms of moving forward. 
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    About the only positive thing you can do re credit history is get a poor credit card cart (eg vanquis, Aqua, capital one) use it and pay it off in full. If your looking for an overdraft it’s gonna be 5-6 years, if you want a mortgage your looking at 3 years with a 10%+ deposit, phone contract get yourself sim only if you want a new handset ask about an upgrade in 6-12 months.

Sadly though the thing which improves the most is passage of time, with 6 years(from date of bankruptcy) being the magic number
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure