Civil Service pension - error in calculation and repayment sought

Options
2»

Comments

• WannabeEdouard
    Options

Your friend is partially at fault for the error as well for not having a clue what her pension should have been and then not questioning it when it was too much (she must have noticed/thought so)

Harsh response and it doesn't make sense. If as you put it her fault for not having a clue . Then how would she "have noticed/thought so"  re the  the overpayment. 
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One word "Capita"
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 March 2020 at 12:15AM
    Options
    One word "Capita"
    Is the Civil Service Customer Service line outsourced? That would explain a lot.

It also offers some confidence that the process is amenable to challenge.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • ToxicWomble
    ToxicWomble Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Your friend is partially at fault for the error as well for not having a clue what her pension should have been and then not questioning it when it was too much (she must have noticed/thought so)

Harsh response and it doesn't make sense. If as you put it her fault for not having a clue . Then how would she "have noticed/thought so"  re the  the overpayment. 
     Ok badly worded.

but I know how much I should be paid and how much that translates into my pay packet.
    As for pension - I get an annual statement so I know exactly what my pension will be and would assume that the civil service have a similar system in place ( I may be wrong)
    Glad you didn’t disagree with anything else I said.
    As to the “young pup” - I guess most people fall into that bracket when you are an old dog.
    (bet you won’t like that - even tho you have no objection to the “young pup” terminology) 

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    One word "Capita"
    It's not Capita any more, it's MyCSP....Capita were always better to deal with/get answers/see your stuff online than MyCSP have proved to be...and still no online access to your details with them...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    GunJack said:
    It's not Capita any more, it's MyCSP....Capita were always better to deal with/get answers/see your stuff online than MyCSP have proved to be...and still no online access to your details with them...
    There is now an online portal for pensioners and active members.

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Ok badly worded.

but I know how much I should be paid and how much that translates into my pay packet.
    As for pension - I get an annual statement so I know exactly what my pension will be and would assume that the civil service have a similar system in place ( I may be wrong)
    Glad you didn’t disagree with anything else I said.
    As to the “young pup” - I guess most people fall into that bracket when you are an old dog.
    (bet you won’t like that - even tho you have no objection to the “young pup” terminology) 

She believed the original payment - and calculation behind it - to be correct. She had no idea the calculation was wrong and that there was an over-payment until she received the notification, and the new calculation doesn't make sense to her.

The opacity of the situation is the key issue. Rather than being helpful and offering clarity, the insolent CS officer made things worse. I stand by my assumption that this is down to immaturity and a lack of people skills; I'll now add that I don't think that he himself understood the system he is charged to implement.  Its heaping dysfunction on dysfunction, and the message it sends career public servants that their work has been a wasteful way to spend their lives. Nice.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family