IFA fund management costs

Options
Have seen lots of discussion on here about IFA costs as a % of total portfolio value and what that % should be.  However, I was wondering whether there are any IFAs who operate on the basis of taking a % cut of the INCREASE in portfolio value rather than a % of the total value which means they don’t feel much of the pain of a reduction in value.  Has anyone come across this or can any IFAs comment?  Thanks

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,148 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This has been mentioned before on other threads . It is misunderstanding the role of an IFA, which is to manage your finances in an optimal way through good and bad times + advise on other issues like tax, inheritance etc .
    They are not fund managers, where a performance type bonus would be more normal. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    However, I was wondering whether there are any IFAs who operate on the basis of taking a % cut of the INCREASE in portfolio value rather than a % of the total value which means they don’t feel much of the pain of a reduction in value. 
    1 - it would be a truly awful way for you to pay charges.  You would end up paying more over time (growth periods outnumber negative)
    2 - It would create bias in recommendations (low risk = lower return)
    3 - it remunerates the IFA for something that is not their primary role. (IFAs are not fund managers and they have no control over negative periods).
    4 - it creates cashflow issues for the business which could bankrupt it.
    5 - No mainstream platform/provider supports it (not sure any do).

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MarcoRolo
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and understand the points you both make.  It just feels like the IFAs role should be to make you better off, yet there is little/nothing that acts as a financial incentive for them to do so.  
  • Andrew31
    Andrew31 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 February 2020 at 4:19PM
    Options
    MarcoRolo said:
    Thanks for the comments and understand the points you both make.  It just feels like the IFAs role should be to make you better off, yet there is little/nothing that acts as a financial incentive for them to do so.  
    Apart from the fact that if they dont do a good job you can stop using them, that is the financial incentive. 

Its like saying there is no incentive for Pizza hut to make good Pizzas!

This is the 3rd thread of yours about IFA charges, if you dont like them,  why dont you change advisers.

Or manage it yourself :wink:
  • MarcoRolo
    Options
    Of course you’re right, but I would get a better pizza if I could pay what I thought it was worth after I’d eaten it.  
  • Andrew31
    Andrew31 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MarcoRolo said:
    Of course you’re right, but I would get a better pizza if I could pay what I thought it was worth after I’d eaten it.  
    Start making your own pizzas if you believe that.   
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Andrew31 said:
    MarcoRolo said:
    Start making your own pizzas if you believe that.   
    Love making my own pizzas.....family love 'em too!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MarcoRolo said:
    Except that clients who aren't made better off will leave.  Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree with dunstonh as usual - it's not my job to try to generalt positive returns during falling markets, and it's certainly not fair of you to expect me to work for free for potentially years if we end up in a bear market.

I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 February 2020 at 6:32PM
    Options
    MarcoRolo said:
    How much time, effort and paid resource are you prepared into managing/selecting your own investments? 
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do my own investments so I don't waste any dough. My wife makes the pizza so I get the best pizzas for no effort and minimal dough. She makes lots of dough when she makes the pizzas but she says you have to. She reckons it costs peanuts to make the dough so it's a massive saving over buying ready made pizzas. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure