Moorcrofts asking for £180 on behalf of Paypal.

Options
Hi all,
I received a letter from Moorcroft a couple of weeks ago asking me to confirm I was resident at my address so they could contact me about a "personal matter". I googled them, and checked all my old accounts to make sure I didn't owe anything. When I was satisfied I didn't, I chucked it in the bin following some advice on this forum. Because it also said personal matter, I thought it might be some kind of scam from someone alleging I owe them money.

I have had another letter today, dated 22/02, stating that I need to pay £180 to PayPal by the 29th. I'd imagine that giving me a very short period of time to pay is a tactic to make me panic.

My PayPal account stopped letting me in about two years ago. I just get a try again later message when I try to access it, but as I'm not a huge fan of PayPal I thought it was no big loss. I needed to use it for eBay about a year ago so I called them up. The woman who I spoke to would not tell me why it was blocked but it seemed to be an intentional thing on the part of PayPal. She gave me another number to ring, but it just directed me to the exact same series of options, which I went through again. I was on hold for maybe two hours before I gave up. I went back through all my emails from PayPal and noticed that I was receiving a large number of phishing emails which mysteriously stopped when I stopped being able to access my account.

I forwarded the phishing emails to PayPal's official anti-phishing email address along with a note stating that I think someone may have accessed my account and could they look in to it for me. I have received nothing back, and PayPal have not attempted to contact me at all via email. They may have tried to contact me at my old address which the account was registered to before I moved, however, but I could not change the address on my account with it being locked. I have recently opened a PayPal business account for a separate matter which is how I believe they linked me to my current address. Their contact options are atrocious.

I'd prefer to deal with PayPal directly but up until now they've not made it easy for me to contact them. Would phoning the number on the Moorcroft's letter to tell them all this be a bad idea? I don't want to pay anything to Moorcroft until PayPal have confirmed that I do owe the money (although I have no idea why I would) and that I haven't been phished.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do some research on PayPal debt recovery, they mainly use Moorcroft, who are just acting for PayPal so can`t take legal action against you, as they don`t own the debt.

PayPal never take legal action in the UK either, so unless you get something in the post that resembles a county court claim form, (very unlikely) you can ignore it, as PayPal are notoriously difficult to deal with in matters such as this.

You can send a "provit" letter to Moorcroft, this should get you details of the debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure