BriNylon Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    uknick said:
    BriNylon said:
    uknick said:

The only downsides (which I admit are pretty minor) with Benenden are

a) there is a limit of £1,800 for each case,
    I did not realise that there was a limit for each case.  That is a pretty small limit.  
    Like you I also had a Morton's Neuroma and I asked how much it would be to go private as the waiting list was very long.  From memory, I think the quote was about £10k which is why I am thinking about private health insurance.
    I am also concerned about the "discretionary" aspect.  
    The £1,800 is generally for diagnostic work, not treatment.  However, treatment can be done by Benenden for free.  You need to look at the website to see which treatments are covered

With regard to Morton's Neuroma on the NHS, I was led to believe it would take months to get any treatment on the NHS.  However, I saw my GP in December, had an NHS ultrasound a week later and saw the NHS consultant in January.  As I only needed an injection, he would've done it there and then if I didn't have to drive home afterwards.  The injection was done about 2 months later, but please bear in mind, the foot pain wasn't too bad and I had lived with it for about 1 year, so I didn't push for one sooner. 

Due to the suggested NHS delay I did go down the private route, which was a disaster.  I saw the private consultant in December, he wanted X-rays and an ultrasound scan.  The x-ray appointment took 2 weeks as it was over the Xmas period.  The ultrasound couldn't be done as the machine was broken till January.  My NHS appointment was before the private hospital could do the ultrasound.  Therefore, I dropped the private route and went NHS.
    Thanks for this.  I think I will ring them.
    You are probably right about taking months on the nhs.   I went to see the GPS when I was in pain.  I did have the injection to no avail.  I have a extremely high pain threshold due to an accident many Yeats ago.    Constant pain.  So the pain from the neurona was just 'another niggle'   He said it was enormous, but when he took it out I asked to look at it... tiny it was.    It took two years from seeing the Gp to having it taken out.  By the time I had it removed I could hardly bear to put slippers on let alone shoes.  He said I should have gone earlier but I thought I was just being weak.  
    So this is the reason I am looking at private health.  I don't have much concept of pain and I am concerned a similar thing might happen.   Something not life threatening.   Just debilitating.  

• uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BriNylon said:
    uknick said:
    BriNylon said:
    uknick said:

The only downsides (which I admit are pretty minor) with Benenden are

a) there is a limit of £1,800 for each case,
    I did not realise that there was a limit for each case.  That is a pretty small limit.  
    Like you I also had a Morton's Neuroma and I asked how much it would be to go private as the waiting list was very long.  From memory, I think the quote was about £10k which is why I am thinking about private health insurance.
    I am also concerned about the "discretionary" aspect.  
    The £1,800 is generally for diagnostic work, not treatment.  However, treatment can be done by Benenden for free.  You need to look at the website to see which treatments are covered

With regard to Morton's Neuroma on the NHS, I was led to believe it would take months to get any treatment on the NHS.  However, I saw my GP in December, had an NHS ultrasound a week later and saw the NHS consultant in January.  As I only needed an injection, he would've done it there and then if I didn't have to drive home afterwards.  The injection was done about 2 months later, but please bear in mind, the foot pain wasn't too bad and I had lived with it for about 1 year, so I didn't push for one sooner. 

Due to the suggested NHS delay I did go down the private route, which was a disaster.  I saw the private consultant in December, he wanted X-rays and an ultrasound scan.  The x-ray appointment took 2 weeks as it was over the Xmas period.  The ultrasound couldn't be done as the machine was broken till January.  My NHS appointment was before the private hospital could do the ultrasound.  Therefore, I dropped the private route and went NHS.
    Thanks for this.  I think I will ring them.
    You are probably right about taking months on the nhs.   I went to see the GPS when I was in pain.  I did have the injection to no avail.  I have a extremely high pain threshold due to an accident many Yeats ago.    Constant pain.  So the pain from the neurona was just 'another niggle'   He said it was enormous, but when he took it out I asked to look at it... tiny it was.    It took two years from seeing the Gp to having it taken out.  By the time I had it removed I could hardly bear to put slippers on let alone shoes.  He said I should have gone earlier but I thought I was just being weak.  
    So this is the reason I am looking at private health.  I don't have much concept of pain and I am concerned a similar thing might happen.   Something not life threatening.   Just debilitating.  

Yes. call them to see if they cover surgery for the neuroma.  Something at the back of my mind says they would have covered surgery, but only at one of their preferred hospitals.

However, I'm not sure how they'll treat a recurring condition.  They might says it's pre-existing and not cover it.  Having said that, no other medical insurance would either.  But, I suppose it's no different to varicose veins; you can remove one and then another causes a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure