Does your GP know whether or not you have collected a prescription?

edited 21 February 2020 at 10:03PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
10 replies 502 views
melburymelbury Forumite
13.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 21 February 2020 at 10:03PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Just wondered if it is flagged up anywhere on your medical record if you don't actually go and get a prescription from the chemist.

Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Replies

• edited 22 February 2020 at 11:01AM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 February 2020 at 11:01AM
    It depends on the type of prescription IIRC and if there are any particular types of treatment regimen in place.

Also, with the rise of electronic prescribing, it has become considered good practice for GPs to sign-up to the mechanism that allows them to monitor prescription filling - mainly so that they can keep an eye on how patients on long term/repeat prescriptions are utilising their meds as apparently these are apt to go awry after a while.

But where it Is a single prescription, for a straightforward medication. Probably not.
  •  Yes, I get narky phone calls and letter when I do that 
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting....
    On several occasions I have been prescribed something that could be bought from behind the pharmacy counter, or in other words sold under a pharmacist's supervision. I got in the habit of asking, as often it cost less than the NHS prescription charge.

So, if the GP checked, it would show as if I had not had the prescription dispensed?

It is a real balance with medical records between what is necessary (and even then in who's opinion) and a feeling that big brother is watching you!
  •  Well suppose with me it's frequently necessary because I have several chronic conditions that need treatment. Not picking up a prescription means I could get Ill 
  • suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Doubt it. I always ask if it’s cheaper OTC before I hand the script over. If it is I buy it so therefore keep the script. Never been brou up at ant appointments.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • VegastareVegastare Forumite
    598 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Do GP's have the time to chase things up...if you don't get prescription made up and by directly can't see a problem, but if items are dispensed and you never collect them that would be different, pharmacy takes dispening charge and once items boxed and labelled on shelve what do they do....re use, re cylce, not sure.
    I know family members  purchase items when on holiday in Spain as £3 cheaper than item on prescription in UK.
    They are asthma inhalers - but I would worry with certain items and countries in case not up to UK and European standards.
  • edited 25 February 2020 at 3:26PM
    UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2020 at 3:26PM
    Vegastare said:
    Do GP's have the time to chase things up...if you don't get prescription made up and by directly can't see a problem, but if items are dispensed and you never collect them that would be different, pharmacy takes dispening charge and once items boxed and labelled on shelve what do they do....re use, re cylce, not sure.
    I know family members  purchase items when on holiday in Spain as £3 cheaper than item on prescription in UK.
    They are asthma inhalers - but I would worry with certain items and countries in case not up to UK and European standards.
    I doubt if they do. Generally they only read letters received back from consultants in the couple of minutes between patients before you are called in! If the system shows that you haven't collected a prescription they would probably only notice at that point. In any case knowing you have collected it doesn't prove you have taken it! 
  • olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    Vegastare said:
     once items boxed and labelled on shelve what do they do....re use, re cylce, not sure.
    I was told (when I took a prescribing course) that once a drug is "dispensed" then that's it, it cannot be put back into stock or dispensed to another patient. If it's not collected then it would have to be disposed of.
  • QuackQuackOopsQuackQuackOops Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they do not know whether or not you have collected a prescription.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they do not know whether or not you have collected a prescription.

Mine do since the electronic prescriptions started. I get phone calls and txt reminders to collect it or make an appointment 
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals