»

Moneyweek predicting price rises?? Sell now!!

New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Moneyweek predicting price rises?? Sell now!!

3 replies 244 views
Last time doom-mongers like Moneyweek and Capital Economics shouted buy was early 2007
They are at it again !
Should this be a sign to sell up now?

Replies

• edited 20 February at 10:02AM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 10:02AM
    Property is a poor choice for speculation.
    For a home there are obvious issues. Moving house is the 3rd most stressful life experience, people have jobs, schools and have personalised their accommodation and there are transactional costs.
    For investment properties there are transaction costs and also the inconvenience of tenants who might not want to leave.

there could be a few people who are already thinking of selling for whom it could be convienent e.g. in between tenants.
    in that case I think it’s a good time to sell.
    thats because I think the Boris bounce will prove to be misplaced confidence, however I have a pretty poor record on predictions or gambling (fortunately I’ve not placed any big bets).
    i certainly wouldn't listen to mags whose prime motivation is to sell magazines.

its a big gamble unless it happens to suit you to sell now.
  • edited 20 February at 11:52AM
    phillwphillw Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 11:52AM
    lisyloo said:
    thats because I think the Boris bounce will prove to be misplaced confidence,
    I thought property prices were increasing due to lack of confidence in Boris.
    House prices always go up when people think the stock market is about to tank and need somewhere to put their money instead.
  • edited 25 February at 4:12PM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February at 4:12PM
    I'm buying. I desperately need a home, now. To know where I'll be living. 
    If I were looking for another, an investment, a holiday place, I'd wait as waiting's not life critical.