Mature Student - Eligible for a student loan for tuition fees?

Options
I dont know whether i'm eligible for a student loan or not?   i'm a mature student (35) living with my wife in England.   I am looking at re-training as a physiotherapist, however I already have an undergraduate degree in business management that was self funded (no previous student loan) and would need a student loan to help with tuition fees .  The student loans company website is a bit naff and doesn't give the level of detail, it just says I might be eligible under some circumstances if studying for a healthcare related subject.  Does anyone have any further insight into this or experienced this themselves?

Comments

• bambisonamission
    Options
    Hi, I too am going back as mature student in September. I have previously used two years of my allowed potential 5 years of loans. I was advised by the student loan advice line that as I still have 3 years available to me that wouldn't be a problem. So working on the basis you never used it in the first place, I would think you are eligible. To be certain call the student loans company helpline, they are very helpful and advised me that I can get my eligibility back for the other two years if I should need it due to poor health. HTH
    Currently in an IVA due to trying to fund a growing business but enough is enough. Back to uni I go to study and get some stability back!!!
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Usually student finance is only available to students doing their first degree – even if your previous course was self-funded."

from 
    https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/are-you-eligible-for-student-finance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure