Dyslexia help for applying for jobs

In the past on job application forms, I have not disclosed my dyslexia. On two or three forms in the past, I disclosed dyslexia on the form and never got an interview etc. All roles were similar to the ones I did get interviews. At my current job, I never mentioned dyslexia on the form, but during the chat with the then shop manager about 10 days after I started, I did mention the dyslexia. He said why didn't put it on my application form? I explained the past where I got nowhere if I mentioned it on the form. Couldn't remember his response to that. 

Now I considering applying for new jobs and worried about the should I or should I not put down dyslexia. Do some employers avoid anyone putting down any disabilities?  That felt like that for me in the past

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I never disclose my dyslexia on application forms when is has no impact on the job in question. 

Since the advent of word processors and computers its never been a problem to me, very few people irl know I am dyslexic. I don't see it as a disability at all
  • As Suki says if it’s not going to affect your role then there’s very little point declaring it.

What you can’t then do, for example, if pulled up on a few spelling errors in an official report you have written say ‘sorry I’ve got dyslexia, deal with it!’ 

The issue with non disclosure of disabilities/learning difficulties etc comes when people then want adjustments and allowances for issues that were not declared. 
  • It depends on the type of role I am applying for, If its a NHS or council job I will put it on the application as some of them have provisions that they have to interview a set % of people with a disability (which Dyslexia is a specific learning disability) If its any other role I don't as it normally doesn't cause an issue (google is brilliant at trying to work out what work i'm trying to spell) I may let my manager know a few months in just on the processing of information side so they can either give me information/a list of tasks slower or by email.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • You are best telling them if a form is requesting it or specifically asking, with people at risk of losing their new job quite easily in the first two years, it isn’t a risk I would take. 
    Someone tried telling me not to mention diabetes/‘those in an office job’ don’t really need to mention it, so I just asked one of the employers offering a job (who produced forms to be completed), if I should let them know through the medical form and they said yes, we can’t help you or make any adjustments during a 12 hour shift. 
    what does the charity/org behind dyslexia have to say?
    Of course, employers can select who they like but who wants to work for a company that asks about having children/medical conditions and disabilities straight at an interview (it should be a red flag) 

• I interview people. My HR department forward me the application/CV to make my own shortlist. They don’t include the form that relates to any disclosed disabilities or other characteristics. So I shortlist purely on what I see and wouldn’t know if someone had Dyslexia or not. 
     I guess not all companies are the same though. 
    If you need any specific adaptions you should declare it. But technically you don’t have to particularly as a lot of people have it but have never been officially diagnosed. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Our form - the bit not seen by the recruiting manager - asks if you will need any reasonable adjustments. I'm always surprised by those who say 'no', until you invite them for interview and they say they're dyslexic and need extra time for the written assessment. 

What difference does it make to your working life? What help might you need? If you're looking for the kind of work where it wouldn't make much difference, I would probably still declare it, because you don't know when procedures will change, and you'll be expected to read and take in complex documentation. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport