2 Way Light Switch driving me mad

Options
Hi I need some help.  I have a 2 x 1 gang 2 way light switches - 1 on the upstairs landing and 1 downstairs.  They both used to work to control 1 light but have recently stopped.  I have opened them up and messed around and now cluelesss how to put them back!  The upstairs switch has 6 wires!  1 Earth (green/yellow), 2 red, 1 yellow, 1 black and 1 blue.  The downstairs has 4 wires.  1 Earth (green/yellow), 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue.  Can anyone shed anylight on this please?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!!  

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    To be quite honest, if you don't know what you're doing then you stand a high chance of tripping the circuit breaker, blowing up a wire, giving yourself a nasty shock, or worse.  Electricians know what they are doing with electricity - ask one to sort it out for you!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi I need some help.  I have a 2 x 1 gang 2 way light switches - 1 on the upstairs landing and 1 downstairs.  They both used to work to control 1 light but have recently stopped.  I have opened them up and messed around and now cluelesss how to put them back!  The upstairs switch has 6 wires!  1 Earth (green/yellow), 2 red, 1 yellow, 1 black and 1 blue.  The downstairs has 4 wires.  1 Earth (green/yellow), 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue.  Can anyone shed anylight on this please?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!!  
    Get an electrician in, you clearly don't know what you're doing which could prove dangerous if you keep "messing around" with it.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm all for attempting things myself and have done in the past, but for the sake of your family and neighbours maybe it is time to admit defeat.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Beware not all sockets are the same also.  Replaced one of mine recently and as usual
    i put the multimeter across the terminals to check its the same as the one i removed.

Lucky i did, the new socket was backwards. Could have ended with the lights on no matter
    which switch setting,  lights off no matter on the setting or worse it could have popped the
    breakers.

This was a new build when we moved in and they did something wrong, if you fit an LED
    into the landing it glows with both switches off.  You could find how the light should be
    wired, but thats not to say that is how it was wired originally.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This was a new build when we moved in and they did something wrong, if you fit an LED
    into the landing it glows with both switches off.  You could find how the light should be
    wired, but thats not to say that is how it was wired originally.

Ditto: Similar experience here.
    I can only reitterate the advice given to the OP, get someone who knows what they are doing in.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure