»

nearly discharged and best decision ever!!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

nearly discharged and best decision ever!!

7 replies 562 views
hi all I am currently 3 weeks away from discharge from BR and honestly say its brilliant for me, all the stress gone. I was first looking at an IVA due to not understanding the processes and was quickly hounded by several Iva firms trying to convince me to go with them. a chance conversation with a solicitor next door whilst having a break at work gave me my answer, he sat me down and said my best idea is BR, I have no mortgage, and "real" assets and all in all a simple decision in his eyes I was 27k in debt over several CC loans etc and gave me all the help in filling out the online form and even refused any payment as he said it was a 5 min thing. long and short of it is in 3 weeks time I am discharged and over last 12 months managed my income and outgoings brilliantly saved up some money as well and looking forward to the future. anyone wondering or fretting about going BR I hope you see that it is a way to reset your financial life and make a fresh start. 

Replies

• luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    A very uplifting post. 
    So pleased for you and good luck in the future 
  • maxmycardagainmaxmycardagain Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    better than sex...

cheaper too
    Dont worry, be happy
  • barryboyxbarryboyx Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well done :) I'm facing the exact same thing right now and have been looking at IVA or BR and also have no assets.
    Can I ask how you managed to save some money - I'm petrified of the IPA and being able to make ends meet.
  • stevelostevelo Forumite
    35 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    barryboyx said:
    Well done :) I'm facing the exact same thing right now and have been looking at IVA or BR and also have no assets.
    Can I ask how you managed to save some money - I'm petrified of the IPA and being able to make ends meet.
    I saved money as I had no debts to pay I haven't save a fortune as such but for first time in a long time manage my outgoing and have a little left over. I did not have any payments to make to any debtors so it was really a clean slate for me. 
  • stevelostevelo Forumite
    35 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    and also I would say if you have no assets that BR was in my case the ideal option as with an IVA you can still default and go BR and in real terms the debtors get pennies off your and the IVA get the majority of the money 
    barryboyx said:
    barryboyx said:

• thevdmthevdm Forumite
    136 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    That's the big problem with IVA's, the so called debt charities earn quite a lot of money out of them so end up pushing for them where they're not appropriate. I was on an IVA for a year before I did my own research and decided that I was truly not in the best option for myself. I intentionally defaulted on the IVA for 3 months so it would fail and to give myself time to save up the bankruptcy fees. I'm now discharged with no IPA. Had I stuck with the IVA I would have at least 2 1/2 years left, possibly more. When I checked out the end statement it was clear that of the payments I made, most of it went to the provider with my actual debts barely changing.
    I may be wrong sometimes, I learn a little every time I'm corrected.
  • thevdmthevdm Forumite
    136 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Also to add about saving money while bankrupt. If like most people who go bankrupt, you are used to living on the absolute bare minimum to keep paying debts you cant afford then it's amazing how well off you feel when you have enough to live on.
    I may be wrong sometimes, I learn a little every time I'm corrected.