»

Huge infrastructure projects coming, but zero housing, you had better buy now if that's your dream

New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Huge infrastructure projects coming, but zero housing, you had better buy now if that's your dream

13 replies 522 views
HS2, Northern spending spree(at last), local bus and reopened train routes, even talk of a bridge Scotland to NI. Boris is going for some real vanity projects that will be remembered in the future, who knows what he will come up with next, but I am mostly loving it. Nobody remembers grubby little affordable housing estates, and besides the UK has more bedrooms  than people as things stand, we don't need more homes but we do need a reality check where some also need to drop their sense of entitlement, and OK maybe more HMO types of property to help the homeless along with the counselling and in house support many of these people so badly need and deserve. And most of all the one thing this country must drop is the God given right to family housing just because you get pregnant multiple times while unemployed and by various unemployed men, if homes went to people with pay packets rather sob stories the majority of people crying housing crisis would stop complaining.

Replies

• fatbeetlefatbeetle Forumite
    549 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    triathlon said:
     And most of all the one thing this country must drop is the God given right to family housing just because you get pregnant multiple times while unemployed and by various unemployed men, if homes went to people with pay packets rather sob stories the majority of people crying housing crisis would stop complaining.
    Agreed, and seconded. About time we supported the battlers against adversity, not the feckless.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • Getting_greyerGetting_greyer Forumite
    107 posts
    100 Posts
    Do you not think a massive increase in social housing would improve the lives of a lot of people? 
  • fatbeetlefatbeetle Forumite
    549 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Builders, councillors, developers, land owners... 

That lot?

Maybe.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • homeless9homeless9 Forumite
    208 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Not sure if the majority of people bringing up problems with the affordability of housing are up the duff with their 5th kid by their 5th husband.

A lot of people want that first step onto the ladder and that first step is commonly a 1 bedroom apartment.

Ironically it's these 'affordable homes' that are making it harder for me to get onto the property ladder.

Why.....because the 1 bed apartments I'd like as a starter home are either large, luxury builds in wealthy locations and priced at £350,000 each, or they are more modest apartments which are mostly put up as council housing under 'affordable rent' with the small remainder under 'shared ownership'.

Where the heck are the modest new build 1 bedroom apartments sold on the open market at?

Either you have got to be rich or poor to get a new build property in my area.

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    homeless9 said:
    Not sure if the majority of people bringing up problems with the affordability of housing are up the duff with their 5th kid by their 5th husband.

A lot of people want that first step onto the ladder and that first step is commonly a 1 bedroom apartment.

Ironically it's these 'affordable homes' that are making it harder for me to get onto the property ladder.

Why.....because the 1 bed apartments I'd like as a starter home are either large, luxury builds in wealthy locations and priced at £350,000 each, or they are more modest apartments which are mostly put up as council housing under 'affordable rent' with the small remainder under 'shared ownership'.

Where the heck are the modest new build 1 bedroom apartments sold on the open market at?

Have you looked at older housing in your area rather than just new builds?
  • edited 18 February at 1:22PM
    homeless9homeless9 Forumite
    208 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    edited 18 February at 1:22PM
    lisyloo said:
    homeless9 said:

Have you looked at older housing in your area rather than just new builds?

Yes, older homes/apartments that I can afford are generally small and need updating. The more acceptable older builds are out of my price range.

Newer builds interest me more as they are much more presentable outside and in and I can afford something I like via the Help To Buy Equity loan. My complaint is that they are not building any of the types of properties that I would buy and could afford to buy. Any new build apartment is either ridiculously expensive or given to the council to rent out.

Is it too much to ask for even just one modest new build apartment to be built and sold on the open market.

I just see old people's homes, council housing and high end luxury being built, where are the properties for people trying to get on the property ladder?

homes for the dying
    homes for the rich
    homes for the poor

no homes ideal for the first time buyer...

ok there are some shared ownership properties, but it's better to avoid this scheme if you can.

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it too much to ask.
    We all compromised when we were young and didn’t usually get what we wanted straight away. The successful people moved up the ladder and got what they wanted a bit later.

not getting anything at all is going to hurt you badly as you’ve said yourself you’ve missed out on circa £100k capital gains, not to mention the equity you could have bought by paying your own mortgage.
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    11.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    homeless9 said:

Yes, older homes/apartments that I can afford are generally small and need updating. The more acceptable older builds are out of my price range.

Newer builds interest me more as they are much more presentable outside and in and I can afford something I like via the Help To Buy Equity loan. My complaint is that they are not building any of the types of properties that I would buy and could afford to buy. Any new build apartment is either ridiculously expensive or given to the council to rent out.

Is it too much to ask for even just one modest new build apartment to be built and sold on the open market.

I just see old people's homes, council housing and high end luxury being built, where are the properties for people trying to get on the property ladder?

homes for the dying
    homes for the rich
    homes for the poor

ok there are some shared ownership properties, but it's better to avoid this scheme if you can.

There's much more money in luxury housing than modest housing. Everything now seems to be tiny houses with 3 bedrooms and 3 WCs.
    The bigger problem is the developers who get permission on the basis that X% of the housing is "affordable", build the estates and forget to do the affordable ones, then don't even get fined for it.

We really need someone to start building modest 2-4 bed houses / apartments for families, and modest 1-bed apartments for first time buyers, but if the government isn't going to do it and isn't going to force anyone else to do it, then it's just not going to happen.
    It's bizarre though, the government could easily build all the housing we need and draw a profit off it through rent. That's just a bit communist though.

• SailtheworldSailtheworld Forumite
    728 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Herzlos said:
    homeless9 said:

homes for the dying
    homes for the rich
    homes for the poor

We really need someone to start building modest 2-4 bed houses / apartments for families, and modest 1-bed apartments for first time buyers, but if the government isn't going to do it and isn't going to force anyone else to do it, then it's just not going to happen.

Developers aren't daft. Like any other business they're trying to fill demand and make a profit doing so. If the government are having to force people to do this against their will it should provide an indication that the government would hardly be making a profit if they decided to step in and do it themselves.

Looking at developments near me I just assume people are looking for houses with as many bathrooms as bedrooms and enjoy small gardens and the opportunity to argue with their neighbours about the lack of parking from day one. 
  • edited 19 February at 6:26PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    69.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 February at 6:26PM
    Herzlos said:
    homeless9 said:

homes for the dying
    homes for the rich
    homes for the poor

It's bizarre though, the government could easily build all the housing we need and draw a profit off it through rent. That's just a bit communist though.

How does the Government easily build all the houses that we need?  Governments aren't house builders. 
    "Markets have been so good for so long. That many investors are trivialising the advantages of actively managing portfolio risk." - Gervais Williams