New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Contactless Train Fares

9 replies 201 views
Epic-zeroEpic-zero Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Does anyone know where to find contactless train online? I can't find them anywhere. I know from experience that (for example) if you use a contactless card to travel between Clapham Junction & Gatwick it's significantly cheaper than buying the cheapest available ticket... why don't national rail etc. reveal these fares online? Sick of ploughing through endless dross in my attempt to find them ;-)

Replies

• Epic-zeroEpic-zero Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Sorry, that was supposed to say "contactless train FARES"
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen signs at Reading saying only to tap in if you are going to Paddington and not to any other destination.  I understood that it would then charge the correct peak or off-peak fare according to the time you use the card. 
    Although Crossrail trains are running to Reading they are the same price as GWR trains and I didn't think that using contactless is any cheaper.
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Southern's website shows the contactless/oyster fare on the RHS just above the "add to basket" button
  • edited 15 February at 8:39PM
    Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 February at 8:39PM
    You have the TFL Single Fare Finder for point to point fares, which could be useful to find out how much it would cost to use contactless/oyster:

It will also highlight if there is any alternative fares available if you avoid zone 1 or avoid the dreaded "Mix Mode" premium on some routes

• edited 15 February at 9:52PM
    bubieyehyehbubieyehyeh Forumite
    488 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 15 February at 9:52PM
    I use ltfares.com it shows prices for the different routes and you can include railcard discount.

Between Gatwick and Clapham, it is often cheaper to split into two journeys. Gatwick to East Croydon, and Croydon to wherever. You need to leave and reenter at East Croydon.
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use ltfares.com it shows prices for the different routes and you can include railcard discount.
    Can you now add railcard discounts to contactless bank cards?  I thought this was only possible with an Oyster card

• bubieyehyehbubieyehyeh Forumite
    488 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    martindow said:
    Can you now add railcard discounts to contactless bank cards?  I thought this was only possible with an Oyster card

No railcard discount only on Oyster. I should have been clearer the railcard discounts doesn't apply to contactless.

• jbuchanangbjbuchanangb Forumite
    482 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think your difficulty finding contactless train fares is that generally no such things exist. In the Transport For London (Oyster) area, you can pay for travel by tapping a contactless credit or debit card on the smart card reader, and TfL will charge you the fare you can find on their web site.
    Everywhere else, you may find a ticket machine from which you can buy a ticket using a contactless debit or credit card as a means of payment. Many train companies offer their own smart cards, onto which you can load various types of tickets, including day tickets, weekly tickets, etc. but the method for loading such tickets onto such cards varies according to area and train company. You would need to look on the web site of the train company which runs services for the journey you want to take.
    I am aware that you can pay for Manchester Metrolink trams by tapping in a contactless debit or credit card on the  smart card reader at their stops.

8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your difficulty finding contactless train fares is that generally no such things exist. In the Transport For London (Oyster) area, you can pay for travel by tapping a contactless credit or debit card on the smart card reader, and TfL will charge you the fare you can find on their web site.

Now Crossrail trains are running to Reading but it is outside the Oyster area which extends out to Southall or West Drayton only.  However contactless cards can be used at Reading and I assume other stations on the way to Paddington.  I'm not sure if you are then limited to TfL trains or can get fast trains. 

Lucky Freedom pass passengers can travel free as far as Reading on TfL trains - sadly they won't accept my national bus pass ...