New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Bad haircut & insults

10 replies 996 views
ResolvingItResolvingIt Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Weird incident happened yesterday on Valentine’s Day. As soon as I paid for a haircut, the receptionist started making derogatory comments aimed at me and asked strange identity theft questions about my date of birth and where I was living. The insults escalated until I started feeling uncomfortable. I cut the conversation short and left promptly. I noticed everyone in the salon went silent, stopped what they were doing, were wide eyed and had all moved to the opposite side of the room as if a fight was going to break out. As soon as I closed the door, something was thrown at the back of it and smashed. Back home, my housemates told me how bad the cut looked. When my hair started itching, they told me to get checked out for headlice. 

It was a hairdresser I’ld been going to for ages. Instead of the regular stylist, they’ld given me a trainee and starting charging more. The receptionist has always been a bit off and unprofessional but never that bad. Conveniently, receipts weren’t printing off that day. They’ve certainly made it extremely awkward to go back again to have the cut fixed and after describing what happened, none of my flatmates want me stepping foot in that place again.

I would not want anyone going through what I did and I’m also left with a bad cut. The credit card company said they needed a receipt to process the refund which was conveniently not given to me. Has anything similar happened to anyone and what did you do to deal with it?

Replies

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.
    It's a very weird incident.
    But I don't understand why - at a hair salon that you'd been going to for ages - the receptionist would suddenly start asking strange identity theft questions about your DOB and where you were living.
    My hairdresser have never asked for my DOB and where I live. Why would they need to know those details?
    Why did you accept a junior trainee?
    Why did you pay more?
    I really doubt that your credit card company would process a refund simply based on your word that your haircut was 'bad'.
    No. I've never had any similar happen to me.

• MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    346 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    If you personally have been carrying on exactly the same as normal in all respects - ie turn up on time for haircut/have haircut/pay then it does sound odd. If you've not changed how you do things in any way from that - then Facebook them and forget them.

• comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you not notice the cut was bad?  Maybe your housemates are having you on but the best way of getting your own back on the hairdressing shop is you don't go back.
  • SeeMeSeeMe Forumite
    330 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    "As soon as I closed the door, something was thrown at the back of it and smashed."

The above is as strange as the rest of this considering you have been going there for ages.
  • onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the story is true it’s very very very weird.

Maybe post the story online on a review site/Facebook and see what the owners come back with?
  • ZwallaceZwallace Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It's really weird. Can't believe such things can happen in a real life
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm reminded of the conversation in 'Father Ted' between Ted & Dougal.
    "Remember Dougal, we talked about this. This is a 'Dream' - and this is 'Real Life'..."
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm reminded of the conversation in 'Father Ted' between Ted & Dougal.
    "Remember Dougal, we talked about this. This is a 'Dream' - and this is 'Real Life'..."

Or a bit like Bobby Ewing's shower scene...?
  • theGrinchtheGrinch Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mistaken identity?
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Binkie_HuckabackBinkie_Huckaback Forumite
    168 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic
    SeeMe said:
    "As soon as I closed the door, something was thrown at the back of it and smashed."

The above is as strange as the rest of this considering you have been going there for ages.
    if you think it was aimed at you is it worth telling the Police?
    At high tide the fish eat ants; at low tide the ants eat fish (Thai Proverb)