New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Mortgages

3 replies 173 views
taxing21taxing21
1 posts
Forumite MoneySaving Newbie
Be gentle its my first post, 
Got our main mortgage with the building society but over the years have added on 3 other smaller ones for extensions, window replacements etc, recieved our yearly statement and a bit shocked at how much interest we are being charged,
Owe £16700.....int..£41.41
Owe £6395....int  ..£15.86
Owe £4008...int..£9.94
Owe £1316..int..£3.29
Yes i admit there are a lot of owes,
These are all on a capital repayment, is there anyway we can lower the interest,  would adding them altogether and moving to a different mortgage provider be cheaper, sorry if gave too much info or not enough but were not much good where mortgages etc are concerned.  Many thanks.

Replies

• amnblogamnblog
    11.5K posts
    Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You owe £28,419 and are being charged £70.50 interest.
    That is 2.5%
    Have we missed something?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • At 2.5%, very little is interest and main part of your payment is capital. Possible not worth the hassle/work for a remortgage on those figures when you add in other costs. 2.5% with unlimited overpayments is not bad
    I am a mortgage broker and IFA. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • clairebethclairebeth
    228 posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Can't you just overpay to reduce the capital and therefore reduce amount of interest? Your interest rate is fairly low anyway, you might be able to do better,  it depends if a lender would lend you that amount on a lower rate,  no harm in trying.