New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Paternity Leave

7 replies 358 views
JimmycrJimmycr
2 posts
Forumite
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, 

So my parter has just found out she is pregnant. Unplanned but over the moon!!

I am currently doing my teacher training and start my first job on September 1st 2020. Bump will be due in October. Am I still entitled to paternity leave of any form does anyone know?

Thanks 

Replies

• walwyn1978walwyn1978
    709 posts
    Forumite
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately I think you’re out of luck - I don’t think you’ll have been there long enough. 

https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/advice/conditions-of-service/maternity/paternity.html

You could ask them for an unpaid leave of absence, and you’d hope they’d give that to you. 
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves
    1.4K posts
    Forumite
    1000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    You’ll have the October half term and Christmas. You won’t get any paid and it’s unlikely they’ll be super happy with you taking unpaid leave so soon into the school year and the first half/term of your NQT... 
  • JimmycrJimmycr
    2 posts
    Forumite
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks everyone I did think that I wouldn't be entitled to it. I'm sure they will let me have the birth off but I guess I'll just have to miss the first couple of weeks of my child's life and hope it works in my favour in the long run. 

Thanks again
  • edited 14 February at 11:23AM
    spadooshspadoosh
    8.7K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 February at 11:23AM
    You absolutely are entitled to paternity leave. What you will not be entitled to is paternity pay. They will not be able to stop you taking a week or two off after the birth of your child, they will not have to pay you for this time off. 

Sorry this is wrong, i was under the impression that everyone was entitled to the relevant leave just not necessary entitled to the pay. Ie you cant stop a woman taking 9 months off work, you dont neccessarily have to pay them if they dont qualify though. That doesnt seem to be the case with men. 
    >:) Don't be angry!
  • jackandcokejackandcoke
    63 posts
    Forumite
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Jimmycr said:
    Thanks everyone I did think that I wouldn't be entitled to it. I'm sure they will let me have the birth off but I guess I'll just have to miss the first couple of weeks of my child's life and hope it works in my favour in the long run

Thanks again
    Um........I'm sure your child will still grown up fine only seeing you in the evenings in the first few weeks.
    Honest? Probably......sort of.
  • unforeseenunforeseen
    4.7K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That sums it up perfectly.