New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Declare partners income?

4 replies 291 views
Wile84Wile84 Forumite
4 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi,
Do I need to declare my wife's income when completing an SOA and sending info off to the OR? We have NO joint credit anywhere (house in her name, no bank accounts or anything linking us, even TV is in my name only I think).
She earns very well and concerned that a response may be something along the lines of "well your wife can afford to repay on your behalf" etc??

Thanks!

Replies

• Minkym00Minkym00 Forumite
    328 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    It actually benefits you not to declare her income. If your proportion of the household income is less than 50% then you would be allowed whatever that proportion is to pay for the household bills and would therefore have surplus to claim on an IPA. If you don’t declare her income you will be allocated 50/50 share which would mean you would have a lower surplus (if there is one) to claim on an IPA. 
  • Wile84Wile84 Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for the response - not declaring it won't be considered obstructive or anything then and won't have a negative impact on anything. My SOA comes out with approx a £25 surplus every month but I haven't allowed for an emergency fund - I figured it is best to show willing to pay some back if possible but for such a small amount will they bother?
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put £10 in for emergency fund
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry meant to say pop up your SOA on here and we can have a look..see if anything jumps out.