»

Energy firms to pay £30 automatic compensation for more switching delays and mistakes - MSE News

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Energy firms to pay £30 automatic compensation for more switching delays and mistakes - MSE News

3 replies 104 views
MSE_CallumMSE_Callum
648 posts
Forumite
Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
✭✭
Energy firms will soon be forced to give automatic compensation for a much wider range of switching delays and errors, under new rules announced today - including if you don't get a final bill from your old supplier within six weeks...
Read the full story:

Energy firms to pay £30 automatic compensation for more switching delays and mistakes

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• edited 12 February at 11:20AM
    Gerry1Gerry1
    1.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12 February at 11:20AM
    What a damp squib !
    You still have to wait up to six weeks to get a final bill, so it can be up to eight weeks to get your money back.  You could walk from Lands End to John O'Groats in that time !  It's all computerised (or should be), so why can't a switch be completed by the end of the next working day, including repayment of any credit by Faster Payment or collection of final payment by Direct Debit?

• SwipeSwipe
    2.5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like Utility Point are going to be well out of pocket unless they get their act together 
  • SmodletSmodlet
    6.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 5000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's like the whole "switches can be completed in 17 days" nonsense; the admin can, the electricity supply still takes as long as it takes.  It's just more spin.  My last switch in July last year took as long as they ever took; the only difference was a whole lot more spin.  Might as well just put it back the way it was, imho.

As for automatic compo, that is just job creation for all the times it is not automatic.  It also depletes the fund for those who have genuine complaints and deserve far more compo than they receive.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...