Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

Get refund/balance on Oyster cards

New Post Advanced Search

Get refund/balance on Oyster cards

6 replies 162 views
Hi,
Ive got 4 Oyster cards that I havnt used for years. I cant see the balance on them via the website becuase I havnt used them within the past 8 weeks.
As it happens, Im going to London tomorrow. Am I able to get a refund/view balance at a ticket machine? Do I need any identifying details? (the debit card that these were purchased with or something).
Thanks

Replies

• JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    838 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Featured snippet from the web.....
    At a Tube station ticket machine, you can get a refund of up to £10 pay-as-you-go credit and your deposit. Simply touch your Oyster card on the yellow card reader on the ticket machine, select "Oyster refund" and follow the on screen instructions.

I've got a refund, that way, in the past,  No ID needed.

#36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £379/366
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was refunded from the online account. I hadn't used the card for a couple of years.dllive said:
    . I cant see the balance on them via the website becuase I havnt used them within the past 8 weeks.
    I dont know if the system has since changed, but I was refunded from the online account, though I hadn't used the card for a couple of years.
  • lcx1018lcxlcx1018lcx Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    Hi guys and gals,

As a Canadian, I accompanied my family to visit London, UK and bought 7 Oyster Cards with funded in July 5, 2019. I went to a Visitor Centre in Heathrow Airport and tried to get refund before leaving UK. One of the staff guide me get refund of one that balance is less than £10 and told that I can online process the other cards  with the balance being more than  £10 within 1 year. After returning Canada, I tried to create accounts of Oyster Cards and claim refund, but failed due to last travel beyond 8 weeks. So that I tried to dial 44-20-03432221234 many times from Canada, but failed again and again, then how can I get the the total refund of £110? Please give me some effective paths.

Thank your help!

A Canadian visitor.
  • edited 4 July at 10:14PM
    tehonetehone Forumite
    476 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 4 July at 10:14PM
    Hi guys and gals,

As a Canadian, I accompanied my family to visit London, UK and bought 7 Oyster Cards with funded in July 5, 2019. I went to a Visitor Centre in Heathrow Airport and tried to get refund before leaving UK. One of the staff guide me get refund of one that balance is less than £10 and told that I can online process the other cards  with the balance being more than  £10 within 1 year. After returning Canada, I tried to create accounts of Oyster Cards and claim refund, but failed due to last travel beyond 8 weeks. So that I tried to dial 44-20-03432221234 many times from Canada, but failed again and again, then how can I get the the total refund of £110? Please give me some effective paths.

Thank your help!

A Canadian visitor.

You have not got the correct sequence of numbers (you managed to inject 20 in there which is a London specific code).

Try 44 343 222 1234, you may find this works 44 20 7222 1234 (this is their original customer number but hasn't been used for a number of years now)

• lcx1018lcxlcx1018lcx Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    Thank you for your advice.
  • tehonetehone Forumite
    476 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your advice.

I hope it helps, and that you get your money back