New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Filling fell out, advice!

edited 11 February at 6:58AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
6 replies 181 views
onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
2.2K posts
1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
✭✭✭✭
edited 11 February at 6:58AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
A large filling fell out of one of my molars today.  No pain, and I have an appointment to get it sorted on Friday. 

Any tips for limiting the damage between now and then while it’s exposed?  It’s a heavily filled tooth (misspent youth, oops but nothing I can change now) and I don’t want it to deteriorate more if I can help it.  I will drink only water, eat sugar free food on the other side of my mouth, and I have just bought some chlorhexidine mouthwash (not sure if I should use it before/after brushing or leave a gap?)  I also have sugar free chewing gum for maybe when out and about but no idea if that would actually help.

Anything else I can do?

Replies

• ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Friday's not far away. Just keep it as clean as you can until then. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, is there a right order/time to do mouthwash and toothpaste?
    9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is never any need for a mouthwash unless specifically recommended by your dentist for a specific problem.
    It's a triumph of marketing above clinical effectiveness! 
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is never any need for a mouthwash unless specifically recommended by your dentist for a specific problem.
    It's a triumph of marketing above clinical effectiveness! 

I don’t use it regularly but thought it might be useful for stopping tiny bits of food getting stuck in the cavity, I still have to eat!  Is there no point then?  I do see tiny little food particles when I use it after meals. 
    9.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You would see the same if you just used water. 
    Just keep it as clean as you can with a toothbrush & toothpaste. Don't over-think it. 
    The 4 or 5 days between it happening and seeing the dentist on Fri are not going to make a significant difference to the health of the tooth. 
    How to find a dentist.
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You would see the same if you just used water. 
    Just keep it as clean as you can with a toothbrush & toothpaste. Don't over-think it. 
    The 4 or 5 days between it happening and seeing the dentist on Fri are not going to make a significant difference to the health of the tooth. 

Thanks, I appreciate that.  Annoyingly I was at the dentist in Jan and even had x rays done, shame it couldn’t have come out in time for that if it had to!