New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

bankruptcy

4 replies 351 views
kellyvgkellyvg Forumite
8 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I am in the process of getting ready to declare bankruptcy but wondering what to put on the form for who I owe the money to. Most of my debts have been moved on to debt management companies so do I put their name down or the original creditor. Also im not sure who manages a couple of my debts so not sure what to put on the form?

Replies

• edited 9 February at 1:39PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    19.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 February at 1:39PM
    kellyvg said:
    I am in the process of getting ready to declare bankruptcy but wondering what to put on the form for who I owe the money to. Most of my debts have been moved on to debt management companies so do I put their name down or the original creditor. Also im not sure who manages a couple of my debts so not sure what to put on the form?

Hi,
    They are Debt Collection Agencies, not Debt management companies, big difference in what each does, its easy to get a list of your creditors :
    There are a number of ways you can find this information.
    1. Check your credit file. ...
    2. Check emails and letters from creditors. ...
    3. Contact your creditors. ...
    4. Check your bank account statements. ...
    5. Find CCJs and court records online. ...
    6. Find HMRC, Council Tax, CSA and other debts online.
    7. Don`t be afraid to ring your creditors and ask them for the information you require.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • mwarbymwarby Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, accidentally missing a debt, or giving the incorrect holder of the debt isn't a huge problem. Obviously you should do your best to list all the debts as accurately as possible
  • kellyvgkellyvg Forumite
    8 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you, do I list the debt collection agency or the original creditor as the one I owe the money to?? 
  • mwarbymwarby Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'd list the debt collection agency, as they have almost certainly purchased the debt from the original creditor