Getting on Almond milk

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
20 replies 553 views
2»

Replies

• edited 8 February at 6:08PM
    iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 February at 6:08PM
    Can I ask why people are using milk alternatives? Is is because of health conditions due to being vegan or by choice?
    For people without any health conditions/not vegan is real milk really that bad?
  • MissliMissli Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i watch a fair few fitness videos as i have an interest in it and kept seeing people mentioning this almond milk as some 'health alternative' to 'usual' milk i guess. It made me curious.

I like almonds. Maybe i'll like almond milk was my thought process. I'll at least give it a try and see what it's like, especially when it came on offer.

So why on earth then would anyone choose to drink what i can only describe as liquid cardboard??? I don't know what that was but it didn't taste like any almond i've ever had.

For those who do drink shall we say 'alternative' milks, do you really need to have the sweetened version, because this was unsweetened. I can't see how a bit of sweetness is going to save this but it was the weirdest tasting thing ever.
    I regularly buy almond milk.  Its a stupid thing, but since the first time I breastfed I couldn't face drinking cows milk, although eat other dairy products, and now have got used to the taste.  It defintely feels healthier.
    Out of the different milks, my favourite is Hazlenut milk, but its not as widely available.  Tastes so much better!
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask why people are using milk alternatives? Is is because of health conditions due to being vegan or by choice?
    For people without any health conditions/not vegan is real milk really that bad?
    Not that I know of!

For my Mum it was the taste; she found real milk left a weird aftertaste when she used it in porridge. For me it's partly the taste and mainly because too much of it makes my insides unhappy. My brother has found Lactofree solves his problem, so it's real milk but doctored!

If you're happy and fine with proper milk, I personally know of no reason why you *should* change. The alternatives are all more expensive too.

Btw almond milk is usually best used in recipes where you won't taste it, e.g. flavoured chia pudding. Even in porridge with fruit it was still grim.
  • sstevo19sstevo19 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I know most people will use them if they're vegan, as they believe that cow's milk is for baby cows. And they believe it has less of an environmentally impact on the earth compared to cow's milk. Some drink it because they have allergies and an intolerance to normal dairy milk. And some people can have an issue with soya, so they use almond, coconut, oat, cashew, hazelnut or hemp milk instead. 
    The best alternative milks I've tried has been oat milk and unsweetened coconut milk. 
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two reasons. Firstly the carbon footprint of the dairy industry isn’t great and secondly dairy exacerbates hay fever symptoms so I’m trying to cut down before the season arrives. Though TBH not gonna give up cheese anytime soon!

• SocajamSocajam Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If you make your own almond milk , you might think differently.  Remember the almond milk in the stores have chemicals in them to make them last.
    All you need is a decent blender and the recipe can be found online. 
    I make my own almond, cashew and coconut milk.  I have a Vitamix blender - yes its expensive, but it was my birthday present and nothing for me is too expensive.
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    10.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can make your own almond milk.  Soak 1cup of almonds overnight. Rinse. Zap them with 4 cups water. Job done. You can add a couple of date for sweetness if required. I only have a hand blender so do smaller quantities. And don't add all the liquid at the start! The leftover grounds are good for baking. I will confess that I don't use it in coffee because I drink my coffee black. But it makes a good hot choc.
    NST June; NSD 10; Ex 15; bagfuls (53)

Mortgage £500? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • savingfortomorrowsavingfortomorrow Forumite
    868 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    oat milk is lovely heated, very nice, i used it with porriage and it was too much. I can't drink coffee so the oat milk is great. 

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like it as rice pudding.  No good for tea or coffee