A letter before claim without a reply form and proof of the money that is owed?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
2 replies 309 views
LGM92LGM92 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
I recently sent a Letter Before Claim but I didn't include a reply form or documents to show proof that money is owed to me. Does this matter?

He knows that I have solid proof of the owed money should I need to show it at any point, but can he use this against me for not following the correct protocol?

Also, I didn't include a reply form but I did clearly state the below:

''I look forward to hearing from you within the next 14 days so that we can come to an agreement to repay this loan.''

Either way, he can ring me, send me SMS messages, WhatsApp me, come and see me... so I sort of feel like me not including a reply form isn't a big deal but the point is, will this be frowned upon if I end up needing to make a court claim?

Apart from the two above things, I have included everything else including my address.

Ultimately I am pretty certain he is not going to reply anyway. He didn't reply to my reminder, he's ignored all my messages and I'm pretty sure he will ignore this Letter Before Claim too.

I would appreciate any replies on this matter

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you either comply with the pre action protocol, civil procedure rules, or you don’t.
    Ultimately, if they don’t respond to you, and you win by default, it won’t matter.
    However, if they do respond, they could slow the process down with legal arguments.

From what you say it doesn’t sound like it will be a problem.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you.........Private Frazer".
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • edited 31 January 2020 at 9:52PM
    LGM92LGM92 Forumite
    2 Posts
    edited 31 January 2020 at 9:52PM
    Thank you for the quick reply, sourcrates!

So essentially, my address being on the letter along with many other ways he can contact me is enough?

I honestly do not think he is a very bright person and I have learnt my lesson on this one!

But with not long left, I do not think he is going to reply... :(:(
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals