Advice with dealing with Moorcroft Debt Recovery

Hello, I hope I have posted this in the right place
A few months ago I terminated my monthly mobile phone contract with 02. I had paid by Direct Debit so I was not surprised when I then heard nothing further from them and the payments stopped leaving my bank account and my number was cancelled.
A couple of weeks ago I received a pre-format letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery claiming that they were collecting an outstanding debt of £54 pounds owed to Telefonica (02). I sent Moorcroft a response asking for details of why they think I owe money and where the figure of £54 pounds had come from.
A week or so later I received a second pre-formated letter saying more or less the same as the first. I again responded with a letter asking for the information stated above.
Today I received a letter from Moorcroft simply stating

'As requsted a statement of account'
Administration Fee £6.74'

I am a little confused. Is this an additional fee they intend to try and add to my alleged debt or simply a much reduced offer? and why can they not send me the the basic account information I requested?

I've looked up Moorcroft on the internet and I suspected I am being scammed. Does anybody please have any advice on dealing with this company?

Thanks in advance

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock